Air ducts

Engine troubles? Try here.
Brickren
United States of America

Re: Air ducts

Post by Brickren »

The SAV aluminum loses too much heat, By the time it gets to my feet, Its ambient air. Not durable either. And wrapping makes no sense, Wrap is expensive and doesn't stand up to getting wet often. Save money in long run and get insulate for run from hot box to interior.
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Ya! The SAV aluminum duct is nothing but pure heat loss. I used a piece of that for the short coupling
from the exchanger to the hot-air valve. Even for that short piece there is heat loss. I did header wrap
it and there was a definite improvement (use wrap sealer to prevent moisture damage).

The Air Spruce SCEET is two layers of silicone impregnated fiberglass, heat loss will be dramatically less.
It's also smooth bore unlike the stock material which results better Air flow. Just need to replace the worn out
stock 1.1M section.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »

pinzinator wrote:I installed the aircraft spuce orange ducting because it's higher quality than factory. On the flip side, that shouldn't matter much since I need a heater about 3 times a year. The silver ducting looks too much like drier duct from Home Depot, IMO. Not a big deal unless a lot of people are spending time underneath your Pinzgauer.

Yea, same here. December, January,February
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

I'm trying to determine the right hose for 30-05-55 that comes off the low port on the front of the heat exchanger. Mine is worn through because it rubbed against the upper exhaust manifold.

Do I translate the parts page correctly that this is 1.6m of 40mm ID hose?

I want to get the quality stuff from Aircraft Spruce since I order from them on a regular basis, and the Pinz deserves the best. Seems like SCEET is the best choice, and since 40mm --> 1.57in that pushes me to the 1-3/4in size (#05-3067).

Does this all sound right? From comments upthread it sounds like the 1-1/2in can't be squeezed over the male fitting.

The cheap stuff here: https://swissarmyvehicles.com/pinzgauer ... ilter-1.6m
The good stuff here: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... /sceet.php
30-05 parts page.PNG
30-05 parts page.PNG (21.47 KiB) Viewed 3475 times
PDF page 327 from the parts catalogue
30-05-55 parts page.PNG
30-05-55 parts page.PNG (35.85 KiB) Viewed 3475 times
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

Anyone interested in going in on some 40mm metric-sized SCEET ducting?

Metric doesn't seem to exist in regular distribution and appears to be special order only, though the price is in-line with Aircraft Spruce per-foot cost. It comes in standard 4m long lengths, so that means at least three lengths for most of the Pinz applications.

40mm is the key one I need (1.6m) as the english size isn't a great fit at 1.75in for a 1.57 need. The other sizes 50, 70, 90mm have good inch-equivalents.
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

I used the 1 3/4" for that section when I replaced all of the ducting with SCEET a few years ago. It worked very well.
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

My apologies, I made an error. I have not used ducting for the smaller third port to the heat exchanger.
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

I've ordered some of the nice 40mm ducting, and will have extra. If anyone wants some, please PM me.