How hard is it to do a valve job without removing the engine

Engine troubles? Try here.
JimmyC

How hard is it to do a valve job without removing the engine

Post by JimmyC »

It does not look like it would be very hard to pull the four heads in place. has anybody tried it?
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
Haf-e
United States of America

Re: How hard is it to do a valve job without removing the en

Post by Haf-e »

Yes - Its very doable. I replaced one cylinder's piston and rings with the engine in the truck - just expect to drop all of the exhaust headers and have a couple of replacement header studs and nuts on hand. Reassembly is pretty straightforward as well.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Did it require any special tools?
Jim Chance
710M

kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Jimmy do you have a service manual? Basic tools are needed for head removal, but there is a specific order that things have to be done in. If you need to pull your heads, invest in a service manual to help. Not hard at all but you'll need torque specs putting it back together.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I have a manual, but do not think it always tells the full story. It makes mention of a tool to align the heads but says you can use a straight edge instead.

I was also wondering if someone would say "just pull the engine it will be easier".

I have been looking through the shop and parts manual and am surprised to see there is no head gasket. I have never changed a head on an engine with no head gasket. I have been reading about Volkswagen air-cooled heads which seem to be arranged similarly. There they talk about lapping the head to the cylinder. Does this need to be done on the Pinz? No mention of it in the manual.

Part of my dilemma (pull engine and rebuild or just try the heads) is that me and the truck are at my camp-house, about 700 miles from my shop. I am thinking I can do the heads here, but if I want to pull the engine I need to go to the shop.
Jim Chance
710M

stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Just replaced my #2 piston, cylinder and head. Had to pull 3 of the 4 heads to get at it properly. No issue doing it in the truck, I would not do it any other way. No gasket, no issues. Follow the torque specs and away you go!
1972 710m