Extended life oil filters

Engine troubles? Try here.
ziegler

Extended life oil filters

Post by ziegler »

I've been using a Wix 51768 filter, but thought I would try royal purple or amsoil filter. I can't find any cross reference filters in these two filters ....is anyone using R.P. or ams oil filters in the Pinz. They're more expensive but they're great filters. Thanks Zig
rmel
United States of America

Re: Extended life oil filters

Post by rmel »

The only things I'd worry about are Flow resistance, Bars force to open the internal
bypass valve, and the effective filter area. I did find Spec's on the Mann filter w.r.t
the above at one point in time but then lost it :cry:
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Found it, on page 10, W940. Any alternative filter should support
similar or better flow rate, and BAR value on the by=pass valve.
El Cheapo filters may not have a retaining valve that holds Oil in
the filter when there is Zero pressure.

https://www.mann-hummel.com/fileadmin/u ... ers_en.pdf
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

I've ran Amsoil, RP, K&N, and Wix in cars and bikes. Cut open, they are all quality oil filters and will not leave you disappointed. That being said, Wix had all the qualities of the more expensive filters. Occasionally I would see more pleats (more filter media) in a K&N filter, but the difference was negligible. Given the size of the filter, I change it every other oil change. After using them all, I only consume Wix now. The price is great and the internals of the filter are top-notch.

Again, all are great, just wanted to offer an FYI if you were interested in saving a few bucks
1977 Austrian 710M
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

Extended life oil filters are great for use in a modern car running synthetic oil which doesn't breakdown as quickly as conventional and can be used for a much longer period without breakdown. The fuller the filter gets with trapped contaminants the more it will filter out finer particles until it impedes flow just someting to think about as well. In the Pinz you burn a little oil and syntheitc doesn't burn(read fouled plugs with unburnt oil on them ) so I'd stick with convention oil and filter and use a regular change interval. Some times we try a little too hard to improve on something and in this case I really don't see the benefit.

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
Alpine Paradise

Post by Alpine Paradise »

We have always used Amsoils 30wt Diesel oil in ours, but they do not make their High End filters except for common rigs so we also use the Wix filters. I have pulled and done Oil Analysis and run the same oil for 2 seasons of daily trips up Imagine and Black Bear Passes! Personally I think Synthetic cant be beat! But I am also an Amsoil Distributor!
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »

I feel synthetics are ideal for newer engines. These are designed to run on dino oil. They had synthetics back then and didn't use them for a reason. Oil is cheap. I don't mean to sound dismissive, so please don't take offense. context is hard to convey in a message. I guess if you were using your Pinz in a heavy use environment, like desert or a lot of punishing trails, synthetic would make sense, but as a weekend runner, I don't see how the added expense would benefit the truck. We used to have this exact same discussion on the old Ural web forum. Funny how this thread follows old machines. I wonder if hit/miss engine sites discuss this.
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
Sonarman
United States of America

Post by Sonarman »

Amsoil EAO15 filter is the same size as Mann 940 filter which I am presently using. I will use Amsoil filter from now on since I have been using Amsoil in the Pinz for years now. 20-50 just like the dealer puts in my air cooled BMW motorcycle.