Engine Oil Drain Plug Torque Value

Engine troubles? Try here.
bbolander
United States of America

Engine Oil Drain Plug Torque Value

Post by bbolander »

I've seen 8 ft-lb for the gear oil plugs, or tighten by feel, for the aluminum housings.

I haven't seen a torque value for the engine oil drain plug which is in a steel drain pan. What is the torque value for it? Didn't find it by searching and the manual torque spec page is unclear on this.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
63rover
Canada

Re: Engine Oil Drain Plug Torque Value

Post by 63rover »

With a copper washer the torque should be the same. The washer helps to cog the plug in place. If you have to reuse the washer heat it with a propane torch or even gas stove burner until red hot and then quench it in cold water. This will soften the work hardened copper and allow reuse. In fact it can be heated and quenched many times and only needs replacing when distorted or damaged.

Cheers, Clive

PS If the plug is seeping after it's first run following a change a very little bit more tightening should do the trick to crush the washer the little bit needed.
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

63rover wrote:With a copper washer the torque should be the same. The washer helps to cog the plug in place. If you have to reuse the washer heat it with a propane torch or even gas stove burner until red hot and then quench it in cold water. This will soften the work hardened copper and allow reuse. In fact it can be heated and quenched many times and only needs replacing when distorted or damaged.

Cheers, Clive

PS If the plug is seeping after it's first run following a change a very little bit more tightening should do the trick to crush the washer the little bit needed.
Thanks, now if I could only get the old one out! Tried a little tapping, a little heat, and now some PB blasting to soak for a day!
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

now if I could only get the old one out!
Yeah, they tend to "stick". Use a good 10mm hex (I have a 10mm black impact socket from Harbor Freight) and as strong as I am I need a 18" breaker bar and sometimes even a piece of pipe for more leverage; and that is with "normal" snug torque that I used to put them back in place with the last time. If you are using the 6" long hex that came with the truck you will definitely need a pipe for more leverage.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

The breaker bar is a great idea bu don't just pull. Hit it with a hammer, moderate taps first, hopefully harder won't be necessary. Think of it as a manual impact wrench.

A good friend who is a woodworker has his own torque system, "monkey tight, chimp tight, orangutan tight and gorilla tight." Sound like more than a monkey got into tightening this one. It is a good system to adopt if you have youngster around when working on the truck. It is better to be heard complaining about the stupid monkey that got there before you as opposed to the f---- a----- we usually find has bugger things up.

Cheers, Clive
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Thanks for the input. I soaked it with PB blaster for a couple of days, put in the 10mm hex socket and tapped it with a hammer, pulled pretty hard and heard the "crack" and it's out. Just after I had driven it for 15 minutes or so.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I soaked it with PB blaster for a couple of days, put in the 10mm hex socket and tapped it with a hammer, pulled pretty hard and heard the "crack" and it's out.
I doubt the PB Blaster had much to do with it; the copper washer seals the gap very well, preventing oil leaking out which prevents the PB Blaster from getting in. The threads are on the other side of the washer, and most of the sealing washer's area are therefore protected from the PB Blaster. I suspect that the "crack" that we all hear is due to the seal of the washer, I get that crack EVERY time.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

a quote from the Austrian Army repair manaul

Ablaßschraube festziehen bzw. mit 70 Nm prüfen.
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Jimm391730 wrote:
I soaked it with PB blaster for a couple of days, put in the 10mm hex socket and tapped it with a hammer, pulled pretty hard and heard the "crack" and it's out.
I doubt the PB Blaster had much to do with it; the copper washer seals the gap very well, preventing oil leaking out which prevents the PB Blaster from getting in. The threads are on the other side of the washer, and most of the sealing washer's area are therefore protected from the PB Blaster. I suspect that the "crack" that we all hear is due to the seal of the washer, I get that crack EVERY time.
That makes sense for sure. Just nervous about rounding the hex plug and in no hurry so that's what I did. PB blaster makes sense on the other drain plugs where the copper washer is inside the threads.
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Hotzenplotz wrote:a quote from the Austrian Army repair manaul

Ablaßschraube festziehen bzw. mit 70 Nm prüfen.
Well, I don't read the language, but I hand tightened the plug with an allen wrench and when I took my torque wrench set at 100 in-lbs (8 ft-lbs) (11 Nm) to it, the torque wrench clicked immediately. And it doesn't leak so I'm happy!
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

70Nm is equivalent to 52 footpounds!
Jim M.
712W and 710M
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

I also am lacking in linguistic skills so... I find Google translate very useful along with online converters.

https://translate.google.com/#auto/en/A ... %C3%BCfen.

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/torque/

:D
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.