Drain your gas panks!!!

Engine troubles? Try here.
ziegler

Drain your gas panks!!!

Post by ziegler »

Three months ago I had my carbs rebuilt by a reputable mechanic in the area, He told me that I had almost 5 gallons of water in my gas tank and he had no idea how the truck was even running....Just figured I'd let everyone know. Use that drain plug and check it out. Zig
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: Drain your gas panks!!!

Post by Jimm391730 »

that I had almost 5 gallons of water in my gas tank
Some water, yes; 5 gallons is hard to swallow (pun intended). Since water is heavier than gas it will pool at the bottom of the tank, regardless of the fuel level. The fuel pickup extends down to the bottom of the tank. If it was in water, your carbs would have been full of only water, not gasoline.

On the other hand, maybe you found the elusive engine that runs off water! But now that you've rebuilt the carbs it won't run on water anymore... :lol:

"HEET" is a deicer sold in the northern states; it is mostly alcohol. Water is absorbed into the alcohol, and the alcohol is burned along with the gasoline. If you are in a climate where water in the fuel is a problem it would be helpful to use this occasionally. One bottle won't absorb 5 gallons of water, though. Also, if you park your truck outdoors without a full tank you can get moisture from the air into the fuel. A full tank helps to prevent this from happening.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

Jim, I have wondered about using HEET however had concern about the alcohol harming the tank lining. Some here using alcohol free gas to avoid this. comments?
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
layketool
United States of America

Post by layketool »

I go to the local airport and buy 100 LL airplane gas particularly near the end of the season because the Pinz sits in a garage for about 8 months with varying temperatures. That eliminates the ethanol, but not the moisture condensation. Only bad thing is 100LL (low lead) is VERY expensive.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

A speedboat guy I know (also a shop owner for 4x4 repair) had mentioned he had gone several years
with only troubles due to E10 gas in his boat which sat all winter -- then he stated using this Lucas
additive and has has no problems since.

https://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-trea ... tabilizers
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q