Carburetor acceleration pumps trouble

Engine troubles? Try here.
boeing7873
Argentina

Carburetor acceleration pumps trouble

Post by boeing7873 »

Again back to my carbs. Truck is running rich, due to low power, stumbling, out of idle. I can't load the engine without pumping the throttle and revving it up before releasing clutch. Only way to alleviate problem is to pull out the idle screws out about 3 to 4 turns, which make other problems, like backfiring on deceleration and foul smell from exhaust.

So I started to look for carburetor acceleration pump troubles. When I look at the fuel coming out of the 01-40-32 injector tubes, some have a very smooth stream, straight down, others have like a fan type of spray. I thought maybe they had debris on them, so took a couple out and passed some thin copper wire through them. No difference.

I am starting to doubt about the linkage, I read here on the forum that manuals show diagrams with the levers set on the most outer hole on the lever, but some manual pictures showing the levers installed in the most inner... followed the diagram, not the pictures.

How about the valves? (01-40-49 and 51) Any typical failure there? Those are expensive!! I'll spend $200 just on those but before I do that... should I get a new carb?
The pumps themselves are new, just changed them with the carb kit replacement.

Something that I remember during rebuilding was some play in the linkcage arms, I will have to recheck that in the process...

Any advice on these acceleration pumps not working will be appreciated.
Jeronimo
Jerome
CRJ Driver
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: Carburetor acceleration pumps trouble

Post by audiocontr »

Does it idle fine?

Are you sure its not leaky butterfly shafts? They commonly wear out
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

I have sprayed carburetor cleaning fluid on both ends without any success in changing the RPMs. Any other suggestion on how to test this?
Thanks,
Jeronimo
Jerome
CRJ Driver
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

We had a similar problem on ours, replaced the pump suction and pressure valves and the accelerator pump jets and nozzles, runs great now. Fuel was dripping from the nozzles. Probably could have purchased rebuilt carbs for not a lot more than what we spent on rebuilding ours.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

Hi Bbolander,
I did read your previous posts on the issue... like you said, paying $50 per valve... 4 of them! Might as well go with two new carbs or EFI!
I will take them apart tomorrow and check again the valves...
JC
Jerome
CRJ Driver
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

Problem almost solved... changed Idle Jets from 55 to 60 (also went from no o-ring type to Oring type.)

Runs very well.. but still with 2,25 turns on the idle screws. Less and it does not like much the transition from idle to 1600 rpms.
Jerome
CRJ Driver