Fuel pump replacement

Engine troubles? Try here.
ziegler

Fuel pump replacement

Post by ziegler »

I will be replacing the fuel pump. I am not a mechanic and was wondering if I should tackle this myself. I need to replace the base gasket if I'm not mistaken as well. Any imput is appreciated. Mark
bbolander
United States of America

Re: Fuel pump replacement

Post by bbolander »

Not hard to remove and replace and a new base gasket comes with the pump. I thought I had a bad fuel pump with fuel in the engine oil, but the pump turned out to be fine, the carbs were the source of the fuel in the oil.

We ended using the same NAPA M60175 fuel pump that was on the Pinz before we started the carb re-build and it works fine. We filled the pump with fuel with a vacuum pump before re-installing it. We had trouble getting fuel delivery with both the new OEM fuel pump from SAV and the new Carter M60175 fuel pump. We think they were just stiff and perhaps with some pre-tensioning per the manual or filling them with fuel before installation they might have worked.

So while it's easy to remove and replace, you can still have problems like we did.

Remove the air intake system to get access.
IMG_1337 copy.jpg
IMG_1337 copy.jpg (574.02 KiB) Viewed 2334 times
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
ziegler

Re: Fuel pump replacement

Post by ziegler »

Thank you