Here we go again

Engine troubles? Try here.
ziegler

Here we go again

Post by ziegler »

Truck cranks and won't start. I'll try again a week later and it may start. When it starts, it runs like a Cadillac. It has pinz SSI. I've gone through the FASTEC list to try to figure this out, without any results. If it's fuel, air or spark, wouldn't it affect the truck while it's running? So what would prevent the truck from starting but not affect it while it's running? Any input is appreciated.
63rover
Canada

Re: Here we go again

Post by 63rover »

Intermittent go, no go is always electrical. Look for a bad contact that is dirty, corroded or loose. Check and clean every contact and for future reliability coat them after reassembly with dielectric grease or Fluid Film to keep moisture out. There will be no substitute for time and patience. Keep in mind some of these contacts haven't been apart in 40 years.

Good luck.

Cheers, Clive
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Check this thread about 2/3 of the way down the page: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8523&start=135

Possibly a weak battery?
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
ziegler

Post by ziegler »

Thanks. The batteries are the only thing I haven't checked because they're 1 year old red top optimas that I purchased at the same time. I will check individual voltages as well as voltage under load and will let you know what I find. Thank you very much.
ziegler

Post by ziegler »

I didn't have a voltmeter, so I charged the batteries independently and tried to start the truck. I trickle charged the battery with the neg. terminal connected to the key switch first and no luck. I then charged the other battery and she started right up. I ordered a volt meter and will recheck both batteries. The batteries are less than a year old and purchased at the same time, do I need to replace the battery in question or check it monthly. Thanks again every one.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

do I need to replace the battery in question or check it monthly.
Batteries, by definition are intended to store energy and then release it later; when this happens, the have less energy until properly recharged. You won't know if the battery is OK or needing replacement until you determine if it does the job expected of it or not.

Harbor Freight sometimes has a coupon for a free multimeter with any other purchase (a $7.99 value!!!), having a meter is invaluable for electrical problems.

Charge both batteries with the trickle charger for a week each, or until the charger says "full" (with a 6-10 amp charger, you can charge each battery for a day or less). Do the same next month. IF your truck starts well then the batteries are still good, but because you are tapping from the middle battery connection for the SSI you should charge the batteries every month or two because of the imbalance in the loads (both batteries power everything 24V in the truck, but the one battery powers the SSI, too). Independent charging evens the batteries out which makes them last much longer.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Justin Case

Post by Justin Case »

If I don't shut the master switch off when it sets for a week or more the 24 to 12 volt inverter will drain the battery's enough that it won't start. I just charge each battery for 10 minutes or so and it will start. I just shut the master switch off after i'm done driving, if it's going to sit for a while and have no further problems.
BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

Not wanting to hijack a thread... but for parasitic voltage drains and general battery maintenance I use the pulsetech solargizer. Works well and has a small 6" x 6" inch solar panel footprint. It does both a trickle charge and de-sulfates the battery plates.

Here is my write up and install back in 2011. Still using the same batteries.

Bought it from EI... https://expedition-imports.com/IS-24-L
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
ziegler

Post by ziegler »

Are these optima batteries deep cell.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Optima Red Top batteries were designed specifically as starting batteries, not as deep cycle batteries. Often the differences are subtle, and can sometimes be used to some extent for the other application, but generally are best suited and last longest when used as intended.

The Solargizer can be of help to counter small, parasitic drains and/or self discharge of batteries -- especially batteries that sit for extended periods. However it doesn't do much to balance the charge levels between the two 12V batteries (unless you get TWO 12V Solargizers, and a 4-6W each they would take a long time to equalize the batteries). Equalization between the two 12V batteries is where independent charging is needed and for best results requires a charger with several amps minimum capability.

For example, I have two 100AHr 12V batteries in series in the box of my truck, powering the Engel Fridge (24V), Trace 2400W inverter (24V), but I tap one battery for 12V lighting, accessories, and Ham radio. This creates a significant imbalance between the two batteries, but each battery is recharged by its own solar charge controller, with each controller powered by its own 100W solar panel. This realistically gives 4-5 amps of charging current to each battery over the course of a day and each battery gets charged up fully, as required by the charge controller, each day there is sufficient sunlight. The batteries are 8 years old and still going strong. And the Optima Blue tops in the truck battery box are almost as old, but get independent charges several times a year - in both my Pinzgauers.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

Ugh.... I missed the part about tapping from center. Yes... The 24 volt Solargizer would not/will not balance out of sync batteries.
1971 710K S
N2PNZ