Engine troubles? Try here.
MACH
Mexico

LPG PINZSSI

Post by MACH »

I AM THINKING ABOUT CONVERTING MY PINZ TO LPG,
REAZONS TO CONVERT :
THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING WITH CARBURATORS
HERE , DOWN IN SHINNY MEXICO LPG COSTS ABOUT 55% AS MUCH AS GASOLINE.
I RUN A PINZSSI SYSTEM AND PLAN TO RUN ONLY ON LPG SO THE THANK WOULD LIVE WHERE THE GASOLINE TANK IS
NOW.
I AM LOOKING FOR THE EXPERIENCE OF MEMBER THAT RUN ON LPG : SMOTHNESS , POWER , CRACKS ON HEADS , RELIABILITY ,ETC
THANKS IN ADVANCE
one2many
Australia

Re: LPG PINZSSI

Post by one2many »

I run a dual fuel system that lets me switch between lpg and petrol. I also have an SSI ignition, it's one of the best mods I've done. I love it, no noticeable power loss...perhaps a small power increase with a little more ignition advance. It's hands down a much smoother engine running on lpg. So far I've put just under 20000km's running both fuels (majority km's lpg) and I can't fault it so far...no hot heads or overheating, I do use a vacuum delivery upper cylinder lubricant for all the usual reasons.
I reckon the little air cooled workhorse loves it.
Last edited by one2many on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1985 pinzgauer 712K factory 2.7lt civilian (RHD, 4 door K)
1979 Volvo tgb 1314a (under construction to om606 diesel/722.6 trans. Dual cab/tray)
one2many
Australia

Post by one2many »

I was gonna post a pic of the tank I used, but since the forum updated to this new format it won't load photos for me, they stop loading once the "green bar" gets to 3/4 loaded?

Its a really unique solution that tripled my lpg volume for little extra weight. You can check them out though, it's made by PPI they're semi custom tanks made from aluminium you choose your width and length.
Mines 140lts and fits neatly in the rear "footwell"of my 712K making the rear bed area level with the wheel arches across the centre. This let me keep my 140lt petrol tank for extended range. Note my 712K is a civilian model and was ordered as a 4 door instead of 5, it doesn't have a rear door on the RHS and therefore has room for the larger petrol tank.
1979 Volvo tgb 1314a (under construction to om606 diesel/722.6 trans. Dual cab/tray)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Can you give us an idea of the carb setup youre running?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
one2many
Australia

Post by one2many »

The Petrol/gasoline Carbs are standard zeniths 36 ndix but I'm running the LPG carb/mixer between the air filter and a custom intake hat on top of the Zeniths with the air inlet relocated to give me a little more room to fit the LPG mixer in. At first I used an Impco mixer and converter/vapourizer, it worked great with no issues except the mixer (225) was a little large and rubbed slightly on the engine cover so I looked into other mixers and liked the look of the "BLOS" mixer made by BRC, it's much smaller and I reckon a superior design so this is what it has now with a BRC converter/vapourizer to suit. Both systems have similar performance are very simple and completely reversible. The LPG converter/vapourizer is kept from freezing by 900mls of water heated from one exhaust header and circulated by a small electric circulation pump (12v as is my pinz) and through small 75mmx75mm expansion tank.

I've been wondering about those LPG vapour injection kits designed to run with carburettor engines (no ecu in place). Some are affordable at around $800 to $1000 AUD others are cost probitive though.
cheers.
Last edited by one2many on Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
one2many
Australia

Post by one2many »

Lightweight internally baffled PPI LPG Tank...bit flashy ay.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (102.21 KiB) Viewed 5201 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (146.37 KiB) Viewed 5201 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (130.89 KiB) Viewed 5201 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (170.05 KiB) Viewed 5201 times
Got a bit Photo happy as I figured out my pic posting issue.....cleared cookies all good, I always forget about that. 😳
MACH
Mexico

Post by MACH »

thanks for your answer

how do you heat the water with the exaust header ?

do you wrpap some tuing around , weld a wet jacket ?

thanks in advance
one2many
Australia

Post by one2many »

MACH wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:49 am thanks for your answer

how do you heat the water with the exaust header ?

do you wrpap some tuing around , weld a wet jacket ?

thanks in advance
No worries.
Yes one header has a copper tube wrapped around a few times...must have a small expansion tank for "dual fuel" but if your planning on running dedicated LPG it's not necessary as the cold LPG will keep your water from boiling.

A welded in water jacket would be a much neater solution and is ultimately what I will eventually do (unless it gets an OM605td on the LHS of the back bone :wink: ) but "tuning" the amount of heat needed was much easier done with a copper wrap set up first.
MACH
Mexico

Post by MACH »

If you do the engine swaap , please brag about it at this forum
thanks again