EFI on a 710M

Engine troubles? Try here.
Lriwater
United States of America

EFI on a 710M

Post by Lriwater »

Hi,
How much does fuel injection add to the value of a 710M if professionally installed? I have searched a good amount to no avail. Are there any downsides to EFI other than a lighter wallet?
Thanks in advance.
rmel
United States of America

Re: EFI on a 710M

Post by rmel »

Well EFI alone certainly eliminates some of the temperamental aspects of carburetors.
Easier starts, good control over the Air/Fuel ratio, timing as a function of RPM and MAP -- all good things.
The conversion is not trivial, gas tank mod, sensors to add, injector rails, etc. there are components
you can buy from Goatwerks as a DIY. The EFI controller then needs to be programmed either on a
Dyno or a longer term process of drive and tweak.

So the value is a better running engine and some performance improvement. Though your not really
going to benefit a huge amount in hp or torque unless there's also a capacity, compression ratio and
cam change. That "package" of changes has been loosely referred to as the 2.7L upgrade.

My 710 is such a conversion, one of the very 1'st.

My 712 I went a different route, 2.66L top end rebuild and the PinzSSI. This ignition improvement and
a bit more capacity/compression made a rather big difference. PinzSSI is a easy upgrade and could be
used in conjuction with a later EFI conversion by using the Tach output as a batch fire signal. If you
have not moved to the PinzSSI I'd recommend going that route first. While at it replace the mechanical
fuel pump with a 24V electric fuel pump and you have then eliminated several of the ignition/fuel PITA
issues we typically have :wink:
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Lriwater
United States of America

Post by Lriwater »

Great info. Thanks! Would you think EFI adds a few thousand to the overall value?
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Hard to say what dollar value EFI adds. I'd say it's more the basic condition
of the Truck then the frills add on top of that. Ergo, a beat up truck with
EFI is still a beat up truck ://
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

I may have missed an earlier conversation... are you "flipping" your truck?
If you are adding EFI to add value to the truck without significant other improvements ... then it is unlikely to break even.

At the end of the day, for us in california, these are 46 year old vehicles. Adding EFI is really meaningless when a buyer needs to consider the driveline, tranny, 4 (or 6) drum brakes, 4 (or 6) tires (sometimes original ancient Mayolas), body corrosion, cracked seats, damn fuel gauge, yellow headlights, and where to get a replacement canvas top.

If you are restoring the vehicle into a "like new" condition... then you MAY break even with the enhancement of EFI.* As earlier said, best practices for EFI would be to do the 2.7 upgrade... EFI+Camshaft/Topend improvements. That is a significant expense.

If you are not "flipping" the vehicle to a buyer... Then add the SSI kit. Drive the vehicle. Enjoy the vehicle. If you want more power and less glitches from 1960's tech... then add the 2.7 conversion.

*Disclaimer: When selling anything, there is a skill/pitch in the sell. There is also a sucker born... So, yes, "investment" in an EFI system COULD do better than break even.
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
Lriwater
United States of America

Post by Lriwater »

Ok thanks. I am not flipping the truck. Just want to make it more reliable in general as I would like to take it pretty deep into the boonies. I will look into the 2.7l upgrade. Cheers
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

Also keep in mind that the improved mechanical performance comes at the expense of some additional electronic complexity. I highly recommend the 2.7L upgrade, but I've also been bitten by an electrical bug in the system while deep in the sticks. Like all of the various aspects of the Pinz once you learn your way around troubleshooting the 2.7L upgrade there are very few issues that you can't get sorted trailside.
Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]