Water in Fuel

Engine troubles? Try here.
lifefloat
United States of America

Water in Fuel

Post by lifefloat »

I've had my 712 down for repairs for a couple of months. Doing the brakes, chipping and painting (lots of chipping and painting), and various other projects.

I have not ran the motor in that entire time.

Today I had everything assembled back on the motor that I had taken apart. Engaged the choke and she fired up on the second hit of the starter.

Ran for about a minute maybe.

Disengaged the choke and she died immediately.

I had all the fuel linkage taken apart as part of the downtime so I thought hmmm maybe something is out of adjustment.

Nope all looked good.

Engaged the choke and fired up again. Dropped the choke and motor died.

So...…...fuel delivery was my first thought. Nope. Electric pump okay.

Took fuel line off of carb and engaged electric pump to pump some fuel out to inspect fuel. Filled an empty water bottle with fuel.

Well, that was it. Water in the fuel. Quite a bit of water.

Anyway...……..I drained the tank via the electric pump (couldn't get the tank drains to budge). Had about 8-10 gallons of fuel in the truck. The fuel quality improved as I got nearer to empty but I drained til the pump could pick up no more. (obviously water is denser than gasoline so the good stuff was on top and came out last)

Put some fresh gas in the tank. Ran it through the pump for a bit. Then I reconnected to the carb. She fired up rough at first but smoothed out and now it is idling and running as she should. I woulda taken her out for a spin but I still have two brake drums disassembled.

My question to you all is what else should I do to the motor now because of the issue that occurred? Do I need to rip into the carbs? Drain the bowls? Or is just running the brand new fresh fuel in them enough?

Also...…...any suggestions how to get those stubborn drain plugs out on the fuel tanks? They got a good blast of PB blaster and a few raps with a hammer. I'll soak em more later today. Vice grips? Blow torch? (haha)

Also, I do not want to go through this again if I can help it. Is it the damn ethanol in the fuel going hygroscopic and attracting water into the system? I live in a VERY high humidity region. I do use Ethanol Defense additive when I fuel up if anyone cares to know.

Could I have a bad gasket on the top of tank at the filler pipe? Bad seal at the fuel cap? I suppose I could pressurize the tank and see what happens? I would have to borrow some tools for that or something...……..

Anyway...……...anyone who wants to weigh in on the matter I sure would appreciate some feedback on this.

Thanks a bunch.

Scott
Texas710
United States of America

Re: Water in Fuel

Post by Texas710 »

I would be curious to know if the truck was stored inside or outside?

I have heard rumor that vehicles stored outdoors over the winter can build up water in their fuel tanks if the tanks are not absolutely full. Not sure if this is what you are dealing with, but worth a thought.

I don't think you would have to do anything special, drain what you can, run the fresh stuff up to the carbs and the carbs will sort themselves after a bit of running/idling. Just my opinion though.

I know they make water socks for large fuel storage tanks, they sit in the fuel and only soak up water, could be a possibility for storage if the truck sits for a bit.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Also...…...any suggestions how to get those stubborn drain plugs out on the fuel tanks? They got a good blast of PB blaster and a few raps with a hammer. I'll soak em more later today. Vice grips? Blow torch? (haha)
I think everyone has run into at least one stubborn hex-socket drain plug. The 10mm hex socket makes it a real challenge
to get out at times without worrying that it will strip -- especially the Brass ones. I presume this plug is steel. If you don't
have a 1/2" 10mm hex driver, HF has them. I'd bet the crush washer was excessively crushed and just needs some muscle
on a breaker bar It's a judgement call if that force is getting too close to a strip-out. I've never seen one of these plugs
come out that showed signs of having been rusted in place --but-- you may want to give the plug a hammer blow,
not too hard.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
lifefloat
United States of America

Post by lifefloat »

Thanks for the replies...……….truck stored outdoors...…...Florida. Brutal climate. Can't wait to get the truck situated some place where things don't rust away right in front of your eyes.

10mm hex key was already wanting to strip out the plug on the fuel tank...…...I don't own a hex socket set....but may reconsider that …..usually just use a wrench as a cheater in conjunction with the hex key or a small hammer tapping on the key does the trick. I'll try again tomorrow...…….