Spark plug wire tool?

Engine troubles? Try here.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Spark plug wire tool?

Post by ChickenPinz »

Has anyone come across a good tool for removing the spark plug wire retention 19mm nuts on the spark plugs?

The right size crow's foot wrench may work, but things are pretty tight (very few degrees of swing) in between the valve covers. They make special sockets for oxygen sensors that have slots on the sides -- that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Or even better, something like the tool used for lawn sprinkler insert removal.

Yes, of course I could fabricate a tool, but I first want to see if there's one off-the-shelf. I've looked quite a bit, and not found anything.

I was able to remove mine, but just barely by using a collection of different wrenches that had slightly different angles. And even then, the plugs came loose before the wire-to-plug nut did, so that added a few complications. I'm simply looking for a better solution, and an excuse to buy a new tool. :)

PS: Please don't drag this off-topic on why one should just convert to non-OEM plugs and wires. That's another thread...and as one who owns and works on aircraft engines that use the same wire and plug system, you're unlikely to convert me.

Sprinkler wrench:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (35.37 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Spark plug wire tool?

Post by pcolette »

Perhaps this would do what you want?

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-89149 ... 059&sr=8-8
41yugZxbPjL._AC_.jpg
41yugZxbPjL._AC_.jpg (9.29 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

Yes, that's the crow's foot wrench I mentioned, but it has the size limitations I pointed out.

I'm expecting someone makes something more like the specialty sockets like used for O2 sensors, but I've not found it for 19mm.
63702_I.jpg
63702_I.jpg (58 KiB) Viewed 2718 times
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

Yep. I studied that thread before starting this one, but there was never a clear solution on a tool to better facilitate wire removal and correct torquing.

FWIW, I had no issue removing the plugs themselves with the tool that comes with the truck, but with the truck-supplied tools, there's no assured way to remove the plug wires -- which is necessary to use the plug removal tool in the kit. There's just not enough swing between the valve covers for the included open-end 19mm wrench to remove the wire. I'd imagine that Uncle Steyr had a plan in mind as little seems left to chance on these trucks.
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

I think the best tool is that mil right angle thing modified to be the same shape, only 3 inches shorter.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help