Runs at idle but won’t rev

Engine troubles? Try here.
dallasfields2
United States of America

Runs at idle but won’t rev

Post by dallasfields2 »

So I recently purchased a Pinz and was running great until I accidentally left the ignition on and fried the coil and pertronix module. Replaced both the coil (flamethrower 3 ohm) and the module and after some time turning over the motor it fired.

Sat and idled fine for a few minutes but when trying to give it gas it wanted to die. I shut it off and just after it had trouble starting again. Everything was running fine up until I fried everything the other week and thought it would return to normal after replacing them.

I’m curious if maybe the ballast went bad too after leaving the ignition on or what it may be. Seems to be getting plenty of fuel. And the spark looked strong when testing it. Would like to know what I may be missing or what else to look for. Thanks
rmel
United States of America

Re: Runs at idle but won’t rev

Post by rmel »

Check to make sure that the centrifugal advance in the distributor
didn't get hung up when you did the replacement.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

dallasfields2 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:15 pm So I recently purchased a Pinz and was running great until I accidentally left the ignition on and fried the coil and pertronix module. Replaced both the coil (flamethrower 3 ohm) and the module and after some time turning over the motor it fired.

Sat and idled fine for a few minutes but when trying to give it gas it wanted to die. I shut it off and just after it had trouble starting again. Everything was running fine up until I fried everything the other week and thought it would return to normal after replacing them.

I’m curious if maybe the ballast went bad too after leaving the ignition on or what it may be. Seems to be getting plenty of fuel. And the spark looked strong when testing it. Would like to know what I may be missing or what else to look for. Thanks
If its the petronix you DONT USE THE BALLAST !
dallasfields2
United States of America

Post by dallasfields2 »

So two things I found and thanks for the help. Turns out the ballast was already disconnected for the pertronix that was previously installed. I replaced the flamethrower coil with a bosch blue and it fired up and ran perfectly. Thanks