Fire coming out of tail pipe

Engine troubles? Try here.
JimmyC

Fire coming out of tail pipe

Post by JimmyC »

I noticed some fire coming out of my tailpipe this evening. I was coming down a long steep hill, engine braking the whole way. About 5 minutes in I noticed some orange light in my mirror. It was fire coming out of my tailpipe. If I cracked the throttle just a little it went out. The truck runs fine. I have never seen this before and wondering if anybody else has. I am guessing one cylinder is not firing in that condition.
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
boeing7873
Argentina

Re: Fire coming out of tail pipe

Post by boeing7873 »

Mine does it all the time. The bangs a are quite loud too. The problem is that air is coming in somewhere near the exhaust manifold and unburnt gas from the idle jets/idle screws re-ignites down the exhaust.
I have not been able to lean it enough to avoid it, but if I fix all holes in the exhaust system, it goes away. My problem is in the flexible union between manifold and heater.
Lately, I just turn the ignition off on long downhill runs. The idle valves close and all the backfiring stops.
Jerome
CRJ Driver
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I have always wondered if it was possible to rig up something to shut the idle valves during engine braking. I thought doing so might help with the stench. I will look for some exhaust leaks
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

The idle screws make a small difference, but I run into a dead power zone between 1000 and 1500 rpm. I believe this is due to small vacuum leaks. The last one I found was from the gaskets of the choke plates.
Smoking the manifold and carbs to look for leaks is very important.
Jerome
CRJ Driver
lifefloat
United States of America

Post by lifefloat »

I've been having some backfire issues lately as well. I bring this up in reference to what boeing7873 mentioned as I too have some leakage where the exhaust header pipe mates up to the flexible union. I am kinda suspecting this may be contributing to my issue.

I'm probably going to disassemble the SAV supplied clamps at this spot and see if there is any way I can improve the connection at that point.

Anybody have any suggestions as to a better clamp at this spot?
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

The ideal solution is a true flexible connection between the manifold and the heater intake. SAV sells a kit, quite expensive, but looks good. I have not tried it as I find it quite expensive. I welded two short flexible connections bought at the local store and I believe they are too rigid. No clamp will solve the problem. Flexibility is the key.
Jerome
CRJ Driver
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Change clamps to t-bolt full radius type. I find that these work best. Never weld any couplings to header pipes. It complicates future repairs.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
lifefloat
United States of America

Post by lifefloat »

Thx for the tip on the T-Bolts Jim. And as a bonus they are stainless steel...............winner
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

Jim LaGuardia wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:57 am Change clamps to t-bolt full radius type. I find that these work best. Never weld any couplings to header pipes. It complicates future repairs.
Totally agree with Jim. When I meant welding, I was referring to the flexible adaptors to the plates bolted to the heater side. And good clamps are a must but only after you figure out the flexible segments. Something needs to move or something will break.
Jerome
CRJ Driver