Starter mount...which way is up?

Engine troubles? Try here.
Sandy
Canada

Starter mount...which way is up?

Post by Sandy »

Doing a starter mount replacement after mine tore up. The mount is not exactly symmetrical, having one end a bit longer than the other. The manual appears to show the longer end down but I have seen some pics on this forum with it up. My old one had the longer end down when I removed it. Which way is correct, and why is it built this way?? Also on the subject, I saw that there was someone building solid mounts for the reduction gear starter at one time. Are those still available? Sounds like the way to go. Thanks for any input.
1975 710K
1971 700/APL (NA)
rmel
United States of America

Re: Starter mount...which way is up?

Post by rmel »

Longer edge DOWN.

With respect to the a solid mount, that will increase the torque on the Camshaft Housing
possibly leading to a gasket failure. The starter is mounted directly on that housing,
the mount has rubber in there for a reason.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Sandy
Canada

Post by Sandy »

Thanks for the note Ron. I am guessing that the reason the longer end (with the lip) is down is for additional support of the weight of the starter. Makes sense. As to the solid mount, I wonder what the experience is for those who purchased them. Comments anyone?
1975 710K
1971 700/APL (NA)
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

The solid mount was intended for use with the gear reduction starter available from EI, which weighs significantly less than the original Bosch starter. I have had the gear reduction starter mounted on the solid mount for quite a while with no issues noted. Others may have different experiences.

On 2 other 710M's I've owned, the original mounts came apart and had to be replaced. That being said, these were probably original mounts and had lasted for many years. The replacement mounts may also be manufactured using improved techniques which will last longer.

I have a new, unused solid mount around here somewhere. PM if you're looking for one.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE