Exhaust, idle musings about mods and effects

Engine troubles? Try here.
markv

Exhaust, idle musings about mods and effects

Post by markv »

Hi everyone

Seeing as my exhaust is off I've been wondering about modifications....

So the muffler is pretty large, and I've seen some mercedes car mufflers used as a slimline alternative. Making a 2 pipe into one after the heat exchange is no problem, so the world is my oyster. Oh really, we may say....

Replacing the muffler may well affect the flow of exhaust gasses, and so

1) might that require messing with carbs set up for stock? eg replacing jets, or worst case increasing exhaust air flow so much that the carbs begin to underperform?

2) in the context of one of the mercedes muffler replacement, I read something like this (a long time ago, and I cant see this in the forum on doing a search here) there was talk of increased backpressure, and mention that an increase in backpressure was not a bad thing for a pinz petrol engine. Really?

Can anyone enlighten or guide me around these topics please?

Thanks
Mark
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Exhaust, idle musings about mods and effects

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I went to a smaller diameter years ago. Only requirement that I found is the pinz preferred a restrictive muffler over a free flow. No change in performance and no adjustments needed because of muffler change
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

markv wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:04 am Seeing as my exhaust is off I've been wondering about modifications....

So the muffler is pretty large, and I've seen some mercedes car mufflers used as a slimline alternative.
So...what's the issue you're trying to fix? Are you looking for weight savings? More ground clearance? Clearance for some nifty accessory in the freed-up space?
MTPinz
United States of America

Post by MTPinz »

4x4Pinz wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:08 pm I found is the pinz preferred a restrictive muffler over a free flow.
Why was the restrictive preferred over the free flow?