Troubleshooting with Pinz SSI

Engine troubles? Try here.
JimmyC

Troubleshooting with Pinz SSI

Post by JimmyC »

When a truck appears to be running on three cylinders I usually pull plug wires off one by one to see which cylinder is not working. With Pinz SSI you can damage the system by running with a plug wire disconnected. Is there another way to see which cylinder is not working.
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
Texas710
United States of America

Re: Troubleshooting with Pinz SSI

Post by Texas710 »

I would think the easiest would be to get one of those infrared temp guns and see if there is a difference in the exhaust temperatures.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

Yes, from under the truck point an IR thermometer at each of the exhaust manifolds -- it'll be clear which one isn't pulling its weight.

On the "pull a plug wire test", the easy answer is to connect each of the wires in succession to an extra spark plug held against the engine. Start/Run the engine and note the RPM, then switch to the next cylinder. If one isn't firing. you'll see no spark on the plug running outside the engine, and you'll see a difference in the RPM.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Back before everybody relied on fancy computerized tools, we used ignition tester. Hold hold it up to the each cable and it would illuminate with each spark.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

David Dunn wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:11 pm Back before everybody relied on fancy computerized tools, we used ignition tester. Hold hold it up to the each cable and it would illuminate with each spark.
I'm guessing those wouldn't work very well with the shielded factory wires. I confirmed my inductive pickup timing light was unimpressed by the factory wires, and thus we used a short length of unshielded wire at the distributor cap to enable using a timing light on the Pinz.

But....this person has aftermarket unshielded wires, so they could test for HV, but you might still have good HV pulse and a dead cylinder, but the tester is a good start. To the OP: maybe you can just borrow a traditional timing light with inductive pickup from someone if you don't own one already.
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Just put your hand on the cylinderhead...if its cold its not working.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Easy solution for checking spark regardless of system is use a spare spark plug ground to valve cover between the fins. Observe for spark while cranking.
Quick way to find a bad wire or verify spark.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Fulleraviation
United States of America

Post by Fulleraviation »

I still use wax and rub it on the exhaust headers while engine is running. It will be quickly apparent which cylinder is not firing.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Being a wasted spark system, the engine would lose 2 cylinders if the ignition system was at fault, not one. Something else is wrong, several things could cause this.