I'm Exhausted

Engine troubles? Try here.
IwanaPinz

I'm Exhausted

Post by IwanaPinz »

Hey all,
I need a bit of advice on the topic of muffler / exhaust system replacement.

The stock muffler on my 712 has developed a crack / hole along the rear bottom section. It will need replacing.
So do I replace with an OEM muffler or do I take the plunge and replace the whole system with one of those new fangled high clearance versions?
Any suggestions one way or another would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian Hahl
1973 712M
Nothing says four wheel drive like six wheel drive.
Wayne Roberts

Exhaust

Post by Wayne Roberts »

I have switched over to the high exit style. I bought the kit and it works well. I play in the water alot and the extra height has been helpfull. When I had the local muffler shop install it they told me that they could have made it up cheeper than I paid for the kit. They did have every thing in stock including the flex assemblys. Oh well live and learn. If you buy the kit and install the resinator, watch out for tire clearance issues. Mine rubs under full articulation of the rear wheel with stock tires.
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

This is another one of the choices we all need to make at one time or another. I would hope that for the few dollars difference between a local muffler shop and our loyal Pinz parts suppliers, you would choose the Pinz suppliers. They have spent the time to put together these and other parts so that we can enjoy our trucks. I would also question the quality of the flex couplings provided by the muffler shops. The ones we have seen used locally fail fairly quickly (less than a year depending on amount of use of truck). The couplilngs that have been purchase from the dealers seem to be doing OK. If you are real cheap JC Whitney sells flex couplings that will last about 4K, but they are cheaper.
I guess you can tell when my exhaust system goes it will be with a high clearance system. I am hoping that the 712 system will exit the truck in such a way that it does not impair the suspension travel. To make things tougher I don't like it exiting the rear of the truck.
Mike
lindenengineering

Zorsts

Post by lindenengineering »

Its right, yus only get what yu pays for!
sounds like Popeye!

Seriously though, one Evan Hillman has a flex set on his Pinz which has been there since before he bought his truck. Two years before in fact.

We actually did that modification as an experiement more than 5 years ago and I suppost its still going strong. Evan can you confirm?

Not to feel too puff chested but I think we were the first to do that mod.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

My system was full of leaks so I went ahead with the conversion. Normally I would have installed it myself. Had knee sugery and couldn't do it at the time so had the local muff shop do it. Supplied them with blowup photos & text of the installation procedure. They were not too happy to take the job on although their shop looked pretty empty :roll: Took it to the sand dunes a few months later & sure enough it did rub on the tire. Closer inspection really need to cut rotate & re weld the resonator pipe to get it out of the way. Otherwise especially for street driving the noise reduction was worth it.
Just get in and go....
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

The problem you guys are having with the resonator pipe is probably due to the fact that the system was designed around the Maloya Tires which are much thinner in cross section than the tires most of us are using.

Miles
IwanaPinz

Post by IwanaPinz »

Thanks guys,
Well it sounds like the high clearance system is good except the for the wheel clearance problem.
Is there away around that
My 712 currently has the Maloyas but I will eventually upgrade.
And judging by the pictures, I might have to lose the Swiss Army shovel, or maybe that can be relocated to the right side?

Any other comments?

Brian
Nothing says four wheel drive like six wheel drive.

Post by 2012 »

do you have pix of your exhaust you could send me?
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Iwanapinz
I have flexed my truck up pretty hard and never hit the stock Swiss shovel. I am running Trxus 285/75 on the widened rims. I carry a full size fiberglass shovel now and have hit it a few times because it does not have that strange hard angle of the original one. If you plan on keeping the Swiss shovel I would not worry about it.
Mike
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Dennis,

Yes - the flex couplings are still going strong. Everything aft has been replaced. I welded up my own...see:

http://home.comcast.net/~hillmanpinz/Muffler.html

-Evan
lindenengineering

Evan thanks for the attachment.

To fill in a bit, the previous owners didn't drive the Pinz to NY NY for no reason. They had a yoga business and followed the "pretty people" who wintered in Breckenridge and summered in the Hamptons.
Gotta go where the "lolly" is, I suppose!

I can't say from my experiences that they made a boat load of money doing this hence the scrimped repairs they had us do but they had fun. That matters!
Dennis
Steve in Oklahoma

Post by Steve in Oklahoma »

I would suggest biting the bullet and getting a nice exhaust in stainless. I've had nothing but bad experiences with the cheap exhausts I've had put on my Pinz. About once every 10 months to a year I have to have the muffler fixed for cracks. Actually thats not true. I've already had one muffler replaced in less than a year because the baffles cracked and fell down inside the muffler blocking the exhaust. The cheapys don't hold up as well I'm learning.

By the time I have to replace it again this fall I could have had the better stainless factory replacement.

STR
My idea of gun control is hitting what I'm aiming at.
Foz

Post by Foz »

I bought the kit from EI.. works fine, came out like this:

Foz
EuroTruck

Being Flexible

Post by EuroTruck »

lindenengineering wrote:
Not to feel too puff chested but I think we were the first to do that mod.
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

The Swiss Army has been using the flex couplings for years. I'm sure you've seen one or two of them.

Take a look at this photo for an example.

http://www.eurotruck-importers.com/imag ... 888-10.JPG

Very simple and robust setup.

We stock and sell these flex couplings.

Thanks,

-Sean Philyaw
EuroTruck Importers, LLC.
Odd-Ball Trucks and Parts
770-965-3311
www.eurotruck-importers.com
lindenengineering

Yes I know they have.
But not the braided flex units like we installed.

The common flex lengths available to us in the USA, were not of the required quality level. I did import some lengths from the UK that were satisfactory, but the built up cost landed costs it was just too uneconomic.
Then we switched to the braided units emulating Honda's approach to the problem.
By the way we also experimented with the Chrysler ball/cup and spring loaded joint. This worked very well and in fact there are a few units (incl mine) that have held up for more than three years, one unit gets used on trail use almost every week with no failures.
So there are other ways to achieve a good joint and if anyone is interested I can post the Chrysler approach.
Dennis