Metal shavings in oil pan.....

Engine troubles? Try here.
jacksonpinz

Post by jacksonpinz »

Got my Pinz out of storage for the summer. I had developed and oil leak on the oil cooler last year. Fixed it then changed the oil. Now, I have never changed the oil since I got it 2 years ago. I know, I know, bad karma. It was clean when I got it and I just don't put many miles on it. Anywho, after pulling the magnetic plug, found quite a bit if shavings on the magnet.

What is considered acceptable on the Pinz engine for metal shavings in the pan? Engine runs fine. Only thing I can think of is that half the oil cooler was clogged from the leak and maybe the oil got a little hot. Any ideas?
If you are lucky enough to own a Pinzgauer, then you are lucky enough!
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

O.K. I'll stick my neck out.. On the good side it's not bearing material as it is not drawn by a magnet. Some material on the drain plug would be part of normal wear and tear,(a few fuzzies or an iron fur coat). How would you describe it? Change the oil and filter,run it, listen( :lol: ) drive it and if your really worried ck the plug after a few hundred miles. If it is just as fuzzy,time for diagnosis. If the builders of this engine didn't expect some debris,they would not have put a magnet on the drain plug!
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Most of the time the debris is from the oil fill tube. As the tube rusts from dissuse, small flakes fall off into the oil pan.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
jacksonpinz

Post by jacksonpinz »

Some fuzzies, but some bigger pieces, lets say pin head sized and maybe a little bigger.

I have no history on my Pinz, so I don't know who, if anyone, has rebuilt the engine. Like I said, runs great.
If you are lucky enough to own a Pinzgauer, then you are lucky enough!
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

Hi Jackson: I just received my 710K last weekend. I am doing a full service to get to know it & just drained the engine oil. I had a bit of small metal pieces about the same size as yours. The PO told me no issues with truck. It runs good.

Have you had any trouble with your engine?

I will try to insert an image, this is after I wiped it off somewhat and tried to get the metal on the plastic.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Fc ... directlink

updated photo link

Regards, Kevin
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Hi Guys,

As Jim mentioned it is common to collect rust/debris from the dipstick tube.

My guess is you guys are fine with the amounts that you are describing. That being said, this does highlight how important it is to do a COMPLETE fluid change out at time of purchase. It gives you a baseline to go from in the future. I cannot count the number of times when we will get a diagnostic call about debris on a plug. If all of the fluids have been changed out, then it is a good bit easier to make a determination as to the severity of the problem. Ex: 628KM ago the differential oil was changed and we have x amount of debris, versus, well sometime in the last 10 years the oil was changed by the military/prior owner and I THINK this is a new issue.

Quite simple, upon purchase you need to make sure that EVERY fluid has been changed out and replaced with fresh fluid. And no, just checking the levels doesn't do jack as you cannot tell what is on a drain plug magnet by checking the fill plug level!

Just some food for thought. Spending a couple hundred dollars and a little bit of time is so worth it down the road if problems arise.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."