when measuring float level manually...

Engine troubles? Try here.
audiocontr
United States of America

when measuring float level manually...

Post by audiocontr »

I see that the level of the fuel should be 18mm below the top of the carb correct?

Do i measure with the accelerator pump still in the carb and fully pushed in?

Where do you usually do your measurement?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

First, the top and gasket must be on. Then measure from the top of the cover screw hole down. Mark the outside of the bowl housing, it will be close to the top of the raised oval marked "NDIX36"
I try to set them at 20mm as 18mm is the absolute top of the adjustment scale.
Too high and it will load up on angles, too low and it will go lean at highway speeds.
I use the factory tool and set them up 1/2 way between the clip and the bottom of the bracket.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Hey thanks Jim!

I'm still slightly confused. Are your directions if you have the factory float tool? I do not have this tool but was told its possible to measure using the end of a caliper. My question surrounds how to measure with the caliper and not the factory float tool.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

I couldn't have been clearer, you must measure the distance as described whether you have the tool or not.
Here is an image, notice where the guage is mounted, THAT IS THE STARTING POINT, measure downward from the screw hole.
Last edited by Jim LaGuardia on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

My mistake Jim, I wasnt clear in my original message. I do not have the float tool in the photo.

Tracking on where to measure from, the part i'm not certain of is how do i determine the current level of the fuel inside the carb without that nifty piece in your photo? Is it absolutely necessary or can i pull off a decent setting without it?

From what i can understand, without access to the clear tube/float gauge, i will have to remove the cover and measure inside the carb to the level of the fuel in the bowl. When doing that, how do i compensate for removing the accelerator plunger? Should i leave the plunger in, rotate the cover using the plunger as a pivot point and measure as soon as i have access? Is there a handy way of making a DIY measuring device?
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

***I couldn't have been clearer***

Now,now Jim,we ask our questions,but what we really want is to see some of your pictures! Way back I used to look at the pics in some magazines before the articles,still do,just changed the subject matter! :lol:
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

To make it as simple as posible, measure down 16 mm from the top of the float bowl with the top off. Look at the oval castings on the jet side of the float bowl, if the fuel level is within the oval casting, you are ok :wink:
Last edited by Jim LaGuardia on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Do you think you could have posted a bigger Pic? :lol: :lol:
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

I'm looking for a smaller one to edit in :oops:
I forgot how big some of those images were when I put them on my website :roll:

Note, the average carb top cover with a thin gasket is 9mm thick.
The bottom of the tool is 25mm from top with cover in place, which unds up being 16.5-17,5mm from top of float bowl.
Seems I need glasses more than I thought
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Jim LaGuardia wrote:I'm looking for a smaller one to edit in :oops:
I forgot how big some of those images were when I put them on my website :roll:

Note, the average carb top cover with a thin gasket is 9mm thick.
The bottom of the tool is 25mm from top with cover in place, which unds up being 16.5-17,5mm from top of float bowl.
Seems I need glasses more than I thought

Ahhh! I just came back to report after following your earlier directions. I ran about 20mm from the top as you indicated and marked the carb. I have a paper gasket so its VERY thin. 20mm put my mark 12mm below the deck of the carb.

Measuring 12mm on the inside indicated the float level was WAY too low and i had the smallest washer on the needle valve! Removing said washer lead to one huge soaking of the butterflies javascript:emoticon(':D')

Leaving the smallest washer on puts me back at the 17mm range...

So my floats were almost perfect to begin with. Seems my surging issue is a bit more than just the floats. Just replaced the fuel filter and looked in the tank for obstructions. Seems to run a bit better after the fuel filter replacement. I'll figure it out eventually.

Time to get a low pressure fuel gauge just in case the fuel pump needs some attention.