Correct lenght of rotor after Pertronix install?

Engine troubles? Try here.
PINZGAUER712M

Correct lenght of rotor after Pertronix install?

Post by PINZGAUER712M »

Hi, I wanted to know what should be the correct lenght for the rotor after installing the Pertronix?. I did grind mine a lot when I installed it following the instructions that were posted in the SDP site, but yesterday my truck died and found out it was the rotor that ate the whole center carbon piece of the distributor cap. So I have to replace it but want to be 100% of the correct lenght before grinding it more.
ALEX.
'89 EX-VENEZUELAN ARMY 712M
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Grind it down (about 5mm) to the little mold-seam mark on the rotor. That has worked for my trucks.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

In the end of the distributor shaft you will see a tiny sponge, this is visible when you remove the rotor. Always add a few drops of oil to this sponge whenever you do service work, as this keeps the inner shaft lubricated.
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Conceptually, you want to remove the minimum amount of material to insure the rotor is fully seated on the shaft. We will use a bench grinder or sander to remove down just enough to we have a minimal airgap between the magnetic ring and bottom of rotor. I have never seen a case where more than 1/8 had to be removed from a Bosch rotor.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
PINZGAUER712M

Post by PINZGAUER712M »

Thanks, will do that and also add the oil to the sponge. I think the problem is that my pinz didnt came with a bosh rotor, but another brand, so maybe when I followed the directions for the bosh rotor, for this one it wasnt enough.

Regards, Alex
ALEX.
'89 EX-VENEZUELAN ARMY 712M