2.5 to 2.7 liter conversion

Engine troubles? Try here.
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Dennis:

You should take a picture of the 710 hit on the passenger side and post it here. Everytime I remember the scene it give me the chills to think how fortunate the person was not to have any passengers at the moment....

As you know I have also taken looooong trips across the nation, From Colorado to California and back through New Mexico and Arizona. But as we all do, we do drive safely at all times. One thing is for sure my 15 year old teenager IS NOT driving the Pinz to school....

Saludos a la familia...

Carlos.
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

To clarify I really only put the speed they have commented on, was to give an example of the power the 2.7L has. I have posted in the past my thoughts on speeds. But more than often i just drive by RPM.Which in my 712 is most times under fifty According to gps. Remember I lost my father to a roll over and one year later my sister slid out the sun roof swerving to miss a deer in a disco. luckily had no major injuries.

I know the have Dyno tuned the pickle. Alan you know off hand? Was the torque range any thing like the stock?

I googled pistons in that size there seem to be a wide selection even had different coatings applied to some. If the piston is a problem for some why not just switch to one that works?
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

I guess now is where we all trot out our horror stories, and play right into the hands of folks like WDOT, etc. Apologies in advance for the mini-rant, but this is a pet peeve topic!

Do I get to name the people I know killed in Jeep CJ's? I personally know three KIA's, and more with very bad injuries, all separate incidents.

Want a scary photo, look at side collisions on Mazda Miata's. How bout the side collision of pre-tacoma Toyo pickups? Just as bad.

I've been in a trooper when it got on two wheels at speed swerving to avoid an accident, was almost at tipping point at 55 Mph. Late 80's vehicle.

Or the legion of vehicles on the road still with single master brake cylinders? I've completely lost brakes in both a '69 landcruiser and a similar vintage scout due to that. Never would happen in pinz.

Think ladder frames are safer? Not with what we know of now, in many vehicles it does protect from cab collapse, but increases shock/other effects, you are just as dead. And in some cases less survivable than having unibody collapse & crush legs, etc.

Point being: We do have vintage vehicles, with some pro's & con's on the road. Relative to contemporaries, pinz is about average to above average, with a head up on many. I'd sure rather be in the pinz in traffic than a midget. Or even MGB! But do we see calls that the other vintage vehicles are death traps?

Statistically, the pinz does not even register on insurance safety measures. Just not enough around. Yes we know of some bad accidents.

I don't want to jinx us, but overall, the pinz's have been pretty safe compared to other 4wd's.

And "Grey market" is mentioned with such horror!!!! Let's see, many, many gray market vehicles are in the US & on the road entirely legally.

That includes properly imported pinzgauers. There was no restriction or requirement to federalize. It's immaterial unless your state requires it. Yep, it's tightened up, but no justification to condemn legal vehicles.

It's the Big name dealers that made grey-market a dirty word, along with Kubota, as they wanted to close non-mfg approved imports. But for decades that's exactly how most common brands made it to the US. Many Euro imports and even the first Japaneese imports started as non-mfg approved/sanctioned imports. *The* big names all started that way, VW, Toyopet, Datsun, etc. Hundreds of thousands of grey market vehicles on the road entirely legally. and in later years, most were federalized.

It was not until the Marine Hummer release that the insurance companies waded in. They were not federalized, and were new enough that was an issue. Regarding older grey market vehicles their only legit point is that it's hard to establish valuation on repair/replacement. Which is why it's far easier to get liability than collision on pinz's.

Regarding emissions, if you want to be green, go EFI. I'll put properly tuned EFI on a pinz up against any carb vehicle, and most pre-obd EFI.

Rant over, I feel much better! :-) But I really thing it's a bad idea to give the people like WDOT ammo to ban vehicles like pinzgauers with well intentioned, but misleading statements about safety.

OK, time for a topic change, something less contentious: Can I put a cummins & dana 60's in a pinz? Sure would be cool!

Have fun,

Alan
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I think we all ready know there is a Edwards the Bruce. Profiting from owners!!!! At least mels version any way!!!!!But you didn't answer my Question?
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Alan
Sorry ol mate but you are a bit off base on the emissions!

When it comes to Pinzgauers in Colorado they will NOT comply when manufactured on or after 1981.Its a 5 gas test. Essentially the max CO and HC's cannot be achieved in most cases nor the Nox. Now hold your hosses; before you go key tapping about the virtues of FI, there is the requirement to HAVE a CAT and Air Pump (Smog Pump) on the vehicle and operational.
Now I bet I can hear the peanut gallery howling "Well lets fit them with the EFI" and be done with it for the Greeenies.
Problem--The truck was never fitted with the equipment, nor Federally passed off so even if you fit the stuff its not legal and subject to failure.
That I got from the CO Dept of Health/MV department.

Now for those units 79 to 80 the limit (a 2 gas test) has been reduced so again the likely hood of compliance is equally reduced and without spending money the owner cannot register the vehicle. Currently I can get with ease a good unit to comply with 2.75% CO and 2.5 ppm HC. If they, State of Colorado ratchet it down some more, then life will get tough and more expensive to drive a Pinzgauer getting it into compliance.
Now if Colorado enacts a uniform rolling road 2 or 5 gas IM 240 style test for all vehicles with the need for cats etc where appropriate then life will get real tough. I can see lots of vehicles designated for the scrapper if enacted in CO.

Now I know lots of you live in No Test States---But--How long is that going to last?
Seriously, there's enough banter in Washington and clamour worldwide for the US to reduce its emissions. Its coming and how much it will affect us all is a matter of conjecture at the moment. One thing is almost certain, a return to the $100/barrel by early next year is inevitable, and a rise to $200 by this time next year. If the US loses the petrodollar to the Euro within the next 5 years the barrel might likely cost $260plus/barrel. At those rates it will do in by natural selection the use of many vehicles as we know them today.
Like I said hold on to your hat!
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

lindenengineering wrote:Alan
Sorry ol mate but you are a bit off base on the emissions!

When it comes to Pinzgauers in Colorado they will NOT comply when manufactured on or after 1981.Its a 5 gas test. Essentially the max CO and HC's cannot be achieved in most cases nor the Nox. Now hold your hosses; before you go key tapping about the virtues of FI, there is the requirement to HAVE a CAT and Air Pump (Smog Pump) on the vehicle and operational.
Now I bet I can hear the peanut gallery howling "Well lets fit them with the EFI" and be done with it for the Greeenies.
Problem--The truck was never fitted with the equipment, nor Federally passed off so even if you fit the stuff its not legal and subject to failure.
That I got from the CO Dept of Health/MV department.

Now for those units 79 to 80 the limit (a 2 gas test) has been reduced so again the likely hood of compliance is equally reduced and without spending money the owner cannot register the vehicle. Currently I can get with ease a good unit to comply with 2.75% CO and 2.5 ppm HC. If they, State of Colorado ratchet it down some more, then life will get tough and more expensive to drive a Pinzgauer getting it into compliance.
Now if Colorado enacts a uniform rolling road 2 or 5 gas IM 240 style test for all vehicles with the need for cats etc where appropriate then life will get real tough. I can see lots of vehicles designated for the scrapper if enacted in CO.

Now I know lots of you live in No Test States---But--How long is that going to last?
Seriously, there's enough banter in Washington and clamour worldwide for the US to reduce its emissions. Its coming and how much it will affect us all is a matter of conjecture at the moment. One thing is almost certain, a return to the $100/barrel by early next year is inevitable, and a rise to $200 by this time next year. If the US loses the petrodollar to the Euro within the next 5 years the barrel might likely cost $260plus/barrel. At those rates it will do in by natural selection the use of many vehicles as we know them today.
Like I said hold on to your hat!
Dennis
Alan, well I need to sign off!!!! But you are mad!!! Not much more needed. I've driven (OR) idled any way. Most wont get..... But some will try to elaborate as they have worked on!!!!! Until they drive....... Well, good night mad scientist.

Of coarse if you read the CO test you will see The Hybrids are not tested. Well more left w@@@ Well. no need to go. If some members don't get they never will.. Won't connect the post.
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Sooo.... I shouldn't convert to 2.7?
lindenengineering

Eric
Pray what are you on about?
Edwards the Bruce????--is that a fallen ex presidential campaigner you are refering to methinks? :lol:
Ah NO! :lol:
I can see methinks there is something about Mel--???? Ah ha Mel Gibson perhaps? :roll:
Brave Heart--William Wallace and the Hollywood film? OK understood!

Problem was that the film was full of inaccuracies and there was NO Edward the Bruce! Sorry
Edward the 1st--- morelike, Plantagent King of England, was also known as Longshanks. His adversary was at the time William Wallace and the relatively weak Robert the Bruce of Scotland. (yes Bruce was king) but not of Norman decent! I think you got your kings mixed up
I hope you don't play chess?
Yes Wallace beat the English Army under Longshanks' sons leadership (soon to be Edward 2' ) at the battle of Stirling Bridge but lost miserably at Falkirk and was captured suffering a nasty demise.
Oh by the way the French Princess Isobelle featured in the film (one for the ladies) came on the scene--(English scene that is) about three years after poor old Wallace had lost his Grommet--Guts literally torn out & roasted!

Edward the Second was gay also known as a queer--having married Isobelle, she got tired of his buggering about and had him flung in Berkeley Castle dungeon for 14 years. Not dying of illness he was dragged out and murdered by someone throwing a heavy oak table on his back whilst laying prostate on another equally heavy table---and wait for it---a red hot sword rammed up his tail pipe!
All this happened in my native Gloucestershire, the Earls of Berkeley founded latterly the one and only University in California bearing the same name!
Edwards body is entombed in Gloucester Cathedral where it has rested & mouldered since the Abbot of Gloucester claimed his corpse soon after death. Here endeth the lesson--Amen :lol:
Dennis
lindenengineering

totajoint
Yes go for it but have Jim guide you ALL THE WAY--read important.Seriously!
Cheers and have fun!
By the way I have--Hope you liked the "Wallace and Grommet" story--it's all true and can relate more 2.7 horror stories if you get some bad stuff in the kit.D
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

lindenengineering wrote:Eric
Pray what are you on about?
Edwards the Bruce????--is that a fallen ex presidential campaigner you are refering to methinks? :lol:
Ah NO! :lol:
I can see methinks there is something about Mel--???? Ah ha Mel Gibson perhaps? :roll:
Brave Heart--William Wallace and the Hollywood film? OK understood!

Problem was that the film was full of inaccuracies and there was NO Edward the Bruce! Sorry
Edward the 1st--- morelike, Plantagent King of England, was also known as Longshanks. His adversary was at the time William Wallace and the relatively weak Robert the Bruce of Scotland. (yes Bruce was king) but not of Norman decent! I think you got your kings mixed up
I hope you don't play chess?
Yes Wallace beat the English Army under Longshanks' sons leadership (soon to be Edward 2' ) at the battle of Stirling Bridge but lost miserably at Falkirk and was captured suffering a nasty demise.
Oh by the way the French Princess Isobelle featured in the film (one for the ladies) came on the scene--(English scene that is) about three years after poor old Wallace had lost his Grommet--Guts literally torn out & roasted!

Edward the Second was gay also known as a queer--having married Isobelle, she got tired of his buggering about and had him flung in Berkeley Castle dungeon for 14 years. Not dying of illness he was dragged out and murdered by someone throwing a heavy oak table on his back whilst laying prostate on another equally heavy table---and wait for it---a red hot sword rammed up his tail pipe!
All this happened in my native Gloucestershire, the Earls of Berkeley founded latterly the one and only University in California bearing the same name!
Edwards body is entombed in Gloucester Cathedral where it has rested & mouldered since the Abbot of Gloucester claimed his corpse soon after death. Here endeth the lesson--Amen :lol:
Dennis

Yes I was say Mel Gebs version. In his last conflict with his father he makes the reply edwards the bruce no more..... It's when he is coverd in bandage.

My gen has made it the saying. At least if you say some thing to you group and some thing to another you get the nicname.
Last edited by Erik712m on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Thanks, Dennis and everyone for the information, discussion and entertainment. I know to not do this upgrade without Jim L's advice and experience.

Think I'll just drive the 2.5 for a while and see how it does for my needs, I can always upgrade later when the funds replenish.
lindenengineering

totaljoint
Give me call at my shop, if you like and I will go over my experiences with you. 720 344 1877.
That way I won't ruffle any tail feathers. :lol:
Cheers Dennis
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

totaljoint wrote:Thanks, Dennis and everyone for the information, discussion and entertainment. I know to not do this upgrade without Jim L's advice and experience.

Think I'll just drive the 2.5 for a while and see how it does for my needs, I can always upgrade later when the funds replenish.

Sounds like your on the right track considering Jim didn't even post!!!!!!
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Dennis:

Shouldn't you start to offer a propane conversion to pass the tests? :wink:

Great business opportunity if you ask me.

Carlos.
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
lindenengineering

Carlos
Querido amigo!
Yes the reason for the seminar I mentioned was going over E trends and upcoming developments in E controls for the MV world of "Green". (Billete verde tal vez?) :lol:
Eric
I have been in touch with Jim several times this & last week about various things and this thread came up for humorous discourse between us! :lol:
By the way the Braveheart film to reiterate was very inaccurate on many things and should be taken in the context it was made--Hollywood entertainment!
Dennis