Engine Oil Viscosity

Engine troubles? Try here.
jrcotner
United States of America

Engine Oil Viscosity

Post by jrcotner »

The user manual for my Pinz recommends 30W oil, with no specified season or temperature range. Various sources recommended 20W50 for summer, and 10W30 for winter. My new English service manual recommends 15W50 oil, again no specified temp range.

Is there a chart or other document which recommends the engine oil viscosity for the Pinz by temp range or season?
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN
krick3tt

viscosity

Post by krick3tt »

I suppose that there are lots of differing ideas on this but, I use SAE 30 all the time.There seemed to be no reason to alter from the recommendations of the design. I also use SAE 90 in the gear boxes, per the book.

I have made alterations in the appearance of my pinz, but it is not a show truck.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
jrcotner
United States of America

Post by jrcotner »

Thanks for the info.
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN
pinzwheeling

Re: viscosity

Post by pinzwheeling »

krick3tt wrote:I suppose that there are lots of differing ideas on this but, I use SAE 30 all the time.There seemed to be no reason to alter from the recommendations of the design. I also use SAE 90 in the gear boxes, per the book.

I have made alterations in the appearance of my pinz, but it is not a show truck.
Probably a smart idea. I've been using 10w-40 Castrol GTX in all my trucks without issue, but I believe that I'm probably getting some static leaks when cold because of it. I'm going to change to straight 30 weight in the future
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

This was also discussed previously: http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... +viscosity

I'm still sticking with Castrol, but I've switched to the 20w50.

Jim recommends is, so it's most likely right... 8)
HOOPS PINZ

Post by HOOPS PINZ »

I have found that Castrol GTX 15-40 high mileage works best for me smokes less on start up and helps the oil seals. I have tried a few other oils but the high mileage does help the older Pinz engines.

30 SAE is the recommended but the Castrol works from 15 through to 40 so its better for start up etc

Steve