#3 cylinder burning lots of oil

Engine troubles? Try here.
rubicon4wheeler

#3 cylinder burning lots of oil

Post by rubicon4wheeler »

Is there anything in particular with the Pinz engine that could cause a large and sudden increase in oil consumption in one cylinder? Here's the back story:

My 1973 710M sat for roughly a month until I went to fire it up and found it only wanted to run on two cylinders. After a little diagnostic work, I figured out that the rear two cylinders weren't firing, which obviously leads you to the carburetor. It turns out the float was drowned, so the carb was just dumping fuel into the cylinders. I swapped in one of my spare floats and it ran beautifully....

...except after a couple minutes it started blowing blue smoke out the tailpipe. :cry: And tons more out the joint in the exhaust headers. I shut it off and took a closer look, and engine oil is dripping out of the header joint, and the hot exhaust is obviously responsible for the clouds of smoke. I determined it's coming from the #3 cylinder.

So, before I pull that cylinder head off, is there anything I should know or be on the lookout for?
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

M guess is you glazed the rings. And now you have lost the seal on NO#3.

Of course I'm no mechanic so it's a guess. A real one will post shortly! :lol:
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

First, don't panic :roll: You washed out a cylinder so first smell the oil.
If it smells like gas change it.
Next pull the plug and pour a small amount of motor oil(around a table spoon full) into the cylinder. crank the engine over with the plug out to re lube the cylinder(5 or 6 rotations) now do a compression test. If it is above 125 psi clean the plug and run the engine till the unburnt fuel/oil is burned from the exhaust.(this will make a nice cloud) :shock:
All cylinders should be within 10% of each other :wink:
Report your finding to help others :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."