Engine Oil Type

Engine troubles? Try here.
Peresh

Engine Oil Type

Post by Peresh »

NY has seen some temps in the teens and minus in the last few week. Lately however it's been between inthe 40s.

I'd like to add some oil.

The manual recommends SAE 30 but I wonder if 10W30 would do the trick? Any ideas?

Thanks.
Peresh.
HOOPS PINZ

Post by HOOPS PINZ »

The numbers on your oil indicates the oil's thickness. For example, fROM MEMORY SAE 30 weight oil is heavier than SAE 20 weight oil. So you are probably asking, "what is the 'W' all about?" The W indicates a multiweight oil, where the "W" indicates WINTER use. SAE 30 wight oil acts like a 30 weight oil at all temperatures. So when it gets really cold that 30 weight oil gets really thick. It will no longer flow through the tiny clearances your engine requires. An oil rated 10w30 will behave differently when it is cold. When the temperature of 10w30 drops it acts like a 10 weight oil. That way it will still be fluid enough to flow where it needs to flow. Once the engine(and oil) warms up to temp then it will act like a 30 weight oil.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I've used Castrol GTX 10W30 and am pleased with it. Easier starting in winter and good protection in summer.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
NC_Mog

Post by NC_Mog »

pcolette wrote:I've used Castrol GTX 10W30 and am pleased with it. Easier starting in winter and good protection in summer.

Paul
x2 in three different Pinzgauers since 1999.
Kimball
1979 712M
krick3tt

winter oil

Post by krick3tt »

I just changed to SAE 10-30 oil. Have been running only SAE 30 for several years but thought it was time for a change to adapt to the cold here in CO.
Just let it idle in the drive to fill the filter and check for leaks and it seemed to idle smoother and start easier...maybe that is just me.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Peresh

Post by Peresh »

Yea I just added a quart of 10W30 to the exsisting SAE30 for this cold weather up here. .