Pinzgauer Questions

Engine troubles? Try here.
SixSpeed

Pinzgauer Questions

Post by SixSpeed »

Hey Guys,

I am not too familiar with how Pinz's are set up. I was wondering what the hose attached to the air box is used for? It is the black hose that is roughly 1.5" in diameter.

Couldn't figure out what its for! Thanks in advance! - Jack
-Jack Miles
Unimog 404 Doka Hardcab Turbodiesel
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

If you are referring to "GR 30 05" as pictured on this web page

http://www.swissarmyvehicles.com/parts. ... view=01-35

it provides warm air from exhaust shroud aiding performance when engine is cold.

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
SixSpeed

Post by SixSpeed »

Yeah that is probably it. It did look like it was connected to some sort of heat exchanger, didn't look too close though. Where does it pull the heat from?

I have a suspicion that this would only be effective in colder climates (ie; not Florida). What does anyone else think?
-Jack Miles
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Pulls heat from exhaust manifold shrouding if I recall correctly. Florida not get cold? I remember snow in Jacksonville (NAS Jax) when I was stationed there in the ‘70’s with VMA 142. Was on the ground at least 5minutes. :lol:

Ed
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Yup is used to preheat intake air in colder climates..there would probably be a diverter valve before it that opens after reaching normal operating temperature
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Pinzgauer Pete wrote:..there would probably be a diverter valve before it that opens after reaching normal operating temperature
Essentially correct however post Pinzgauers are equipped with what I would consider a semi automatic diverter. The flapper being weighted in such a way that at low intake volumes / velocities the diverter causes warm air to be drawn. As the volume / velocity increases cooler air is drawn. The diverter can also be locked (latched) in the open position (cool air only) for summer (above + 30 C (86 F)), use. There is also a thermostatically controlled version that saw limited use don’t know if any of the military trucks were equipped with it. Page 55 of the repair manual states “Only in case of temperature being permanently above + 30 C (86 F) :shock: , the hot air flap is to be arrested in the open position”.

Ed
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Here's the thermostatically controlled regulator from SAV. I didn't see one on EI's website. http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... 121195019/
SixSpeed

Post by SixSpeed »

Thanks for the info guys.

How about a second question? Is there any kind of vent/hole/anything that would be letting water into the distributor during fording?

Have silicon around the cap and plugs, so I don't think water is getting in that way.
-Jack Miles
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

everything in the Pinz is designed to endure severe conditions, and is waterproofed..there is however a recommended water fording depth that is listed on their specification sheet, but if you look at any of the videos on youtube you will see literally hundreds of examples of owners far exceeding those guidelines. For me personally once I see water coming into the cab area I would say its time to seek higher ground!!! LOL
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Stock or civilian ignition system?

Ed