Fan belt WTH? Question

Engine troubles? Try here.
andy

Fan belt WTH? Question

Post by andy »

The cross reference for parts on the SDP site shows the replacement fan belt for the Pinz is a 4L410! from NAPA. Last week I bought one since I'm still getting the flickering charging light between about 52 mph and 58 and also because my temp guage, which normally reads about 150 F winter or summer all of a sudden made a jump to right at 220F.

Long story short, I replaced the belt with the 4L410. It survived one test run of about 12 miles. Temp was still high. Removed the front tin and blew out whatever might have been heating things and in general blew all the dirt out of everywhere. Put it back together, time for a test run. Charging light is flickering oh so lightly. About 4 miles from the house hitting about 56 mph, the new fan belt comes apart. Get daughter to tow me and the 712 home and off to Del Rio to NAPA for another belt.

Well, at NAPA they are telling me that the 4L410 is for "fractional horsepower" items such as LAWN MOWERS. Get a new one and look at it and sure enough, right on the label it says Garden in 3 languages and says "Heavy duty FHP Belt."

Anyone have any info on this?

I got a NAPA 7405 belt from them that is 41 1/8" long as opposed to the Lawn Mower belt.

Have no choice but to try it now, just to load the Pinz on and off the trailer if nothing else.

Do any of the mechanical heavies here know anymore about which belt is being used or what could cause the engine to get to above 200 degrees?

Thanks

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Can't speak about the napa belt as there isn't a napa here. But over heating can be a dirty oil cooler. I wash mine out regularly suprising what comes out.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

If not oil cooler check to see if t-stat is opening
pinzdriver

napa belt

Post by pinzdriver »

I'v used the green napa belt for years and not one failed so far. :D maybe they were some that have been on the shelf to long. :oops:
tony in az 73 pinz 6X6
pinzdoctor is the name,pinz repair is the game!
andy

Post by andy »

I'm wondering if shelf life may be the problem too. The green belt is what was on it.

The 7405, which is a black belt, fit, but, I think at higher rpms it might not hold. I'm almost tempted to run it without the motor cover on, but if it doesn't hold I sure don't want to get slapped with it.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

NAPA green here, still running well after 2 years. I used the NAPA part# off the SWP site.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Are you sure you had enough tension on the new belt?
andy

Post by andy »

I thought it was tensioned enough, but I also thought it may have had too much. The possibility that I screwed up somehow is real high on this.

I don't really know and have always taken the interchangable parts list as gospel. I still believe, but it just surprised me to find out this bit about "fractional horsepower."

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here