What's the oil temperature supposed to be?

Engine troubles? Try here.
andy

What's the oil temperature supposed to be?

Post by andy »

What is the "normal" oil temperature supposed to be. I did a search and found two pertinent threads.
http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... emperature

find that the oil temp is not a problem, mine rarely reaches 160 F.
Long highway runs on a hot day can get it up to 190 F.
Around town on a 110 F. day gets me 150-160F.
I insulated my lower crankcase and oil pan just to get the temps up to these numbers (was 120-130 max before).
When it is cool (below 50 F.) I need to block off the air intake tunnel to get the engine to warm up.

If your engine is running hot you might check for a dirty oil cooler and check for debris in your cylinder fins.
http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... emperature
Engines really like the oil to be warm, at least 180 F.

suspect the 230 figure is a result of the engine attaining stabized temperatures other comparisons are just that comparisons given a differing set of operating conditions
Regular oil is fine to 300 degrees, synthetic to 450 or so. Who cares about 230? Water starts to boil out at 212 so you want it at least that hot if possible. Remember everyone who bitches about the condensation under that oil cap? A thinner oil would most likely run cooler but it doesn't make a bit of difference to me.
As you can see the opinions bounce around quite a range. My 712 would normally sit at @ 150F and in winter probably 120 F

Last week when the guage would climb to 230F I freaked out. But now I'm reading 230 might not be bad?

Last night I put the NAPA 7405 fan belt on and today I idled the 712 for probably 20 minutes and then drove it back and forth in front of the house for another 20 minutes or so. I never got above probably 25 mph and the temp guage stayed at 190F. Is that the "new" normal?

What is a proper range on oil temps?

Andy
What's the real scoop.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
wrangler0511

Post by wrangler0511 »

The thermostat that directs oil flow to the oil cooler
starts to open at 180 F and is completely open at 200 F.

That is the temperature range the engine is designed to run.

Since the engine oil cooling system relies on overfunction and is
controlled by a thermostat, anything over 200 F means that the
Engine is heating up the oil more than the cooling system can cool down.
It won't harm anything if the oil temperatures rise a bit but
it is definitively not normal regarding the design of the engine.

Under normal driving conditions my Pinzgauers don't reach 180 F.
If I push them hard offroad or on the motorways they reach up to
190 F in seldom cases they make it to 200 F but not more.

In your case I would check if the thermostat is still working.

Richard
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

The operator’s manual lists 60-80C (140-176 F) as the proper temperature range when tuning the carbs. The manual lists this as “warm”. Not that this is a real answer to your question. Remember these engines are air cooled and as such have very different operating parameters from liquid cooled engines. The operating temperatures in the quoted posting that relate to liquid cooled engine temperatures has no relevance to the Pinz engines. Considering these trucks have served in the Swiss Alps and Saudi Arabia (and many other places) with little other than changing the viscosity of the oil and selecting the summer or winter position of the air intake dampener, I have a hard time understanding some of the owner engine modifications some have made in regard to engine temperature control.

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I've seen 230 on long hard freeway climbs before,cools back down on the backside. This is in 100 degree plus weather.No issues,I wouldn't worry about it much. There are a lot of other Pinzies w/out gages obvlious to these temps and they keep purring along.
Just my .02
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Andy,
If all the cooling fins and passages are clear.
Just for laugh and giggles :wink: , you may want to check your ignition timing. Your timing could have changed and it sounds/feels the same, but the combustion may be too soon and the engine is working harder.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
andy

Post by andy »

Thanks all. I took the wuss way out and took the truck to Fritz in Victoria, Tx. today.

Wrangler, that was good information. Thanks

Mark, that is what I've started wondering about on my 710. How hot does that get? Guess I'll find out one of these days.

Dave, that might be a possibility too.. I know that it is running rich also.

He'll let me know in a day or two. He had another pretty nice 712 there with a hard top and the cab had been rhino lined. It was configured like a pickup.

There was a 710 on the lift, which was down, and they had the wheels off. Poor truck lucked like some critter run over on the highway with all four legs splayed out.

Thanks again.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com