problem with fuel sys.....

Engine troubles? Try here.
waterdog
Paraguay

problem with fuel sys.....

Post by waterdog »

when i let my pinz sit for more than 2 days it doesnt want to start, it seems like the gas from fuel pump drains back to the tank , if i pour some gas in the fuel filter the pump sucks it and starts,, but if there is no fuel on the filter, the pump doesnt pull fuel from the tank for itself...is my fuel pump weak ??? or should i get some kind of fuel filter that doesnt let the gas run back into the tank?(if there is any)or what is your guess??? do i make myself clear?? thank you guys in advance!!!
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
1988 PAJERO CAMEL SPECIAL 042/150
ccalingaert

Re: problem with fuel sys.....

Post by ccalingaert »

I had a similar problem a few months ago, and it turned out to be old fuel hoses. Often they look OK, but if there are cracks on the inside at the ends then air can get in. When it gets bad enough, the fuel pump no longer can overcome all the leaks.
Chris
'74 710K
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

after installing new hoses check the routing of the hoses. Route the line before the filter higher than the filter. These pumps are not known for being self priming and get a little finicky as they get older.

Or simply just drive you pinz everyday :D
landy

Post by landy »

Had a similar problem. I rebuilt the fuel pump and no more difficulties. It's relatively easy to do. Rebuild kits are available from one of the site sponsors, Expedition Imports as well as others.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

How about some profile info. Are you talking about a K? They can have other issues. All of it revolves around leaks on the suction side of the fuel system.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy