Fuel pump issues

Engine troubles? Try here.
Legionayr

Fuel pump issues

Post by Legionayr »

Howdy, all.

My 710M has been sitting undisturbed for several years - time to get it back onto the road.

Fuel pump doesn't seem to be conveying any gas to the carbs. Gas flow to to the pump from the tank seems OK. Would having sat for an extended time have somehow deranged the function of the pump? Any suggestions for restoring its function?

TIA

Jeff in AZ
Jeff

"Whatever a body becomes OBLIGED to do, becomes work, and to be avoided"

-Twain
og

Re: Fuel pump issues

Post by og »

As a quick and cheap fix, if the pump is broken you may replace it with Carquest 1072 pump and then work on rebuilding your original pump.
I believe the gaskets between the pedestal and pump are the same as for an older VW bug.

OG
OG
landy

Post by landy »

Fuel pump may be in need of a rebuild. Typical symptom - vehicle sits for some period of time and pump loses suction and is unable to pump fuel from the tank.

Rebuild kits are available from forum sponsors such as EI. Rebuild is a relatively easy task.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Jeff,Sometimes after sitting the pump will loose its prime. I've used carb cleaner sprayed into the vent tube after removing the hose from the oil fill tube. Using a nozzle,I would spray short bursts while cranking to give the engine more spin. The increased rpm seems to make the pump more efficient,and cuts down crank time.After that it's usually good until another long sit. In the long run,ck'ing all hoses for cracks would be in order. All of this is easy stuff.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy