Fuel Solenoids...

Engine troubles? Try here.
Stekay
United States of America

Re: Fuel Solenoids...

Post by Stekay »

Hey, look what I found! Not at my truck at the moment but could one of these be what we've been looking for?

http://www.ase-supply.com/category_s/77 ... =10&page=7

Can someone run out to their truck and read a part number off one?
'76 710K
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Part #7121084322
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

Stekay wrote:Hey, look what I found! Not at my truck at the moment but could one of these be what we've been looking for?

http://www.ase-supply.com/category_s/77 ... =10&page=7

Can someone run out to their truck and read a part number off one?
Any luck...?
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

Sorry, I haven't had time to even look at my truck this week. I'm sure these solenoids are all 12 or 6 volt Porsche or VW pieces. Perhaps someone could send them a failed solenoid to match up physically, then we could throw a resistor in-line to have a suitable and affordable replacement.
'76 710K
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

Stekay wrote:Sorry, I haven't had time to even look at my truck this week. I'm sure these solenoids are all 12 or 6 volt Porsche or VW pieces. Perhaps someone could send them a failed solenoid to match up physically, then we could throw a resistor in-line to have a suitable and affordable replacement.
I know of a 12v solenoid($18 each) that fits and looks just like ours. I was even thinking about giving them it's own circuit off of a 12v supply and then if something fails then you known where to look...maybe!
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

Did anyone ever find another place to buy the 24v solenoids besides the usual suspects?
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

can you help us out with more info wrt the 12V version you have found? If we know the amperage of the unit a resister to provide the required voltage drop is about $0.50 and 20 minutes to install.
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Quick, cheap FIX for a bad solenoid?
I hadn't started my truck for awhile, and when I did, it was running rough. I have EGT and CHT gauges, and they indicated #1 was discrepant. Checked the solenoid and sure enough, it wasn't working. New $175, and NA. Used still $$$, and I plan to switch to FI this summer. As it wasn't working anyway, decided to soak it in SEAFOAM, advertised as a strong solvent that cuts through build up in fuel systems. 1/2 hour soak and the solenoid was working, but stopped working on the third startup. Soaked another hour and its still working. As the ads say: your results may vary. I'll update if it stops working.
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
BobV
United States of America

Post by BobV »

All,
Just resurrecting this aged ( but helpful) post on fuel solenoids. I recently got back from a 1000 mi + trip. During which my engine started missing & backfiring on the way home. I installed Rick's excellent SSI system & have been running great wit it. Making me all the more frustrated as to why the issues cam up. Got to a turnpike rest area to troubleshoot. Still having 370 miles to get home. I checked all my plug, SSI & solenoid leads first. Fired up the engine & it ran great for the remainder of the trip. Got home & pulled the engine cover found the rear lead on the front carborator solenoid loose again. Tightened up & running good. The point in my rant is how often do the solenoids go bad? It it wise to try & get a spare?

Thanks,

BobV Swiss 710k
BobV 76 Swiss 710k
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

I have found that the fast-on tab terminals on the Solenoids have the potential to get "bumped" by the Dog house,
it's big and awkward and can hit those terminals. When that happens the tabs will loosen and can fall off.

This has happened to me THREE (damn) times and always at the worst time and place :((

There is supposed to be a "safety bracket" on the base of the rear carb to prevent this from happening,
but it's not foolproof. And, the add-on terminals for the PinzSSI can make this a bit worse.

What I did to fix this is to use the circuit that powered the original Spark coil rather than off the Solenoids.
I then bypassed the RPM limiter (removed it) and used CKT Breaker #7 for the PinzSSI and a electric fuel
pump (breaker #7 was used for the Black out light). I also replaced the straight Fast-on tabs with "Flag"
terminals which exists the wire at 90 degrees getting all that wiring closer to the carbs and harder to disturb.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

You could easily install 12v solenoids if you have the PinzSSI ignition. Simply wire the feed into the 12v output of the voltage converter and power the solenoids that way. The solenoids would be turned on and off with the key, just like they are now.
Last edited by pinzinator on Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobV
United States of America

Post by BobV »

Thanks for the fix options! I'll bet I hit the solenoid with the doghouse. Pulled it off to give the engine a chk over before the trip home. Bumping those leads is way too easy to do. I had a couple of tense moments driving through long tunnels having it miss & backfire. Appreciate the workaround suggestions!

Best,

~Bob V 76 Swiss 710k
BobV 76 Swiss 710k
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I wonder if this 12v version would work. Read the troubleshooting procedure.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/058129413 ... bEQAvD_BwE
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

I just bought four of these 24v cut off solenoids from SAV for not much more than the 12v ones at jbugs. If you don't want four then find a friend.
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG