throttle linkage broken?

Engine troubles? Try here.
stiffler4444
Canada

throttle linkage broken?

Post by stiffler4444 »

Hi all,

Last night before bed, I attempted to move my 710m into the garage. While depressing the pedal, I lost all resistance, just has return spring functioning now. I looked under the truck, assembly is all there and the hand throttle is still working in conjunction with the pedal. Due to the hour was unable to get into the engine compartment.

Just wondering if I'm looking at a simple disconnection of the throttle cable at the carbs, or am I in for more of a process?

I will be fixing (hopefully tonight), but have never had to mess with this part of the truck (carbs and surrounding fixtures).

As well, I do have manuals, just looking for that reassurance that I won't be out there all night, I guess......

Couldn't find much specific on the search to this linkage, or I wasn't understanding terminology, one of the two......

Much appreciated, Dave :)
1972 710m
undysworld
Norway

Re: throttle linkage broken?

Post by undysworld »

Dave,

The carb links use some plastic (nylon?) ends, and perhaps one simply broke? That's my guess.

If my memory is correct, they are used in the linkage back to the engine. There is a pivot arm mounted on the #3 valve cover, which then links to the two carbs. If you've lost throttle entirely, I'd expect the linkage broke between the pedal and the pivot arm.

You'll likely have to pull the doghouse to see them. They wear out too, so you probably will want to stock spares.
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Great, thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking, but now I know what to look for.

tx Dave
1972 710m
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Not an expensive part but important.

From SAV catalogue:

BALL JOINT CARB LINKAGE
Part No.: 9014708/
Group: 08-15-10 » Drawing
Price: 2.26 US$
Availability: IN STOCK
Condition: NEW
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Thanks for the reference point, I'll order some up.
Dave
1972 710m
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Yup, broken linkage at the ball pivot.....on order! Thanks for the replies!!!
1972 710m
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

replace them all, and buy an extra to leave in the glove box.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

edzz wrote:replace them all, and buy an extra to leave in the glove box.
for sure, and at that price, I'm happy to.
1972 710m
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Hey Dave.

Which one broke? The main linkage going to the pivot?

I am going to pick up a few spares too.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

The one on the same mechanism as the hand throttle broke. Snapped into 3 pieces. I planned on picking up a few from SAV, but in an attempt to salvage my camping trip next weekend, I'm going to try Karl first.

tx Dave
1972 710m
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Just ordered a couple. Thanks for the post...wouldn't have thought to have spares for the linkage.

Hopefully you can get some before your trip. If PC doesn't have them, SAV does offer speedier shipping, of course it costs more....but they are small enough to fit in an envelope.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Ya, I am only concerned with the customs issues.....might get tied up for a while. Might be my only route though....
1972 710m
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

stiffler4444 wrote:Ya, I am only concerned with the customs issues.....might get tied up for a while. Might be my only route though....
I haven't had any issues ordering from SAV or EI. Generally takes 7-15 days. Both use USPS so you won't get stuck with UPS brokerage...you may even avoid tax, if it is under $25 (I think that is the value). If you are close to a border crossing, you could probably get it shipped to a UPS store quite quickly. I am only 45 minutes to Ogdensburg, NY and I do that occasionally.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Ya, I'm 10 minutes from the Peace Bridge, could call them and order. I have a place in Lewiston that takes packages for us Canadians....I tried online and my credit card info won't jive with an American delivery address.....
1972 710m
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

stiffler4444 wrote:Ya, I'm 10 minutes from the Peace Bridge, could call them and order. I have a place in Lewiston that takes packages for us Canadians....I tried online and my credit card info won't jive with an American delivery address.....
Call SAV. They might be able to help with that. I just placed an order with them for the linkage, plus a few other things I needed....and they called me back to double check that I actually needed all that I ordered....Turns out I didn't, and my bill dropped by $40 US! Great customer service.

From my relatively newbie experience in the Pinz world, both SAV and EI go above and beyond to help their customers.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol