J.R.'s EFI Kit

Engine troubles? Try here.
berger
Canada

Re: J.R.'s EFI Kit

Post by berger »

If Jake was so protective of his process and guarded of this kit, why does he not support it any longer? It was posted here that he would not answer questions on the kit any longer. Seems like he is done with it and no longer sells it or makes money on from it.

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

He has answered my questions the 4 times I asked of him during the install.
Alao as stated in his posts, He has several binders full or R and D info that he would sell if someone wanted to pick up were he left off.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

westernair wrote:He has answered my questions the 4 times I asked of him during the install.
SNIP
I am glad to hear that he helped you out as he put a lot of work into it and it is good to see it installed and running.
I was the one that said he would not support the kit and that was based on an email reply I received on 10/11/12:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Subject: Fw: Pinzgauer EFI kit
Sir,
The last kit we sold was over 3 years ago, so no support is possible.

Jake Raby
-------------

but it was from Rebecca's (who works for Jake) email address not directly from Jake himself
Dan
Last edited by TechMOGogy on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Then I retract my post! :mrgreen:

I still think this is a lot like open source software, which I deal with a lot.

What is the EFI market for a Pinz really? I won't be doing mine. Carbs are fine. If they aren't selling the kit anymore, and most of the big Pinz parts suppliers haven't jumped onto his research, then they must not think it is that valuable. The kits were probably not profitable, so he stopped selling them....of course that is an assumption, and yes I know what they say.... :mrgreen:

I just think it would be pretty cool if it was out there and guys could learn and possibly improve his setup. Jake would still get the recognition. Better then letting it die.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Not to take away from Jake's kit but it is not available anymore and only a handful were produced.
Best bet is to go with the kit that has been proven time and time again to work (even while Jake was developing his).
Jim LaGuardia's EFI kit.
Jim is so "open" that he even has supplied step x step instructions on what to buy, where and how to install it right on his website!
See here: http://www.goatwerks.com/images/fuel%20 ... ctions.pdf
No where else do I see someone sharing so much technical information than Jim (he has over 2000 posts here on this forum which is currently the most!)
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I got a call on this post so I'd figure I chime in. I am one of the originally kit owners. I know of four other Pinzgauers besides this one that were successfully installed. When the kits were originally delivered most leaked around the welds. My shop remade the fuel rail, and replaced the throttle body. I dyno tuned mine. which changed the mapping a lot. I no longer own that pinz. as I have moved on to other things. I will say there are other kits out there that are far better. I don't no a lot about EFI. But seems like programmers are just rewriting chips anymore.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

TechMOGogy wrote:Not to take away from Jake's kit but it is not available anymore and only a handful were produced.
Best bet is to go with the kit that has been proven time and time again to work (even while Jake was developing his).
Jim LaGuardia's EFI kit.
Jim is so "open" that he even has supplied step x step instructions on what to buy, where and how to install it right on his website!
See here: http://www.goatwerks.com/images/fuel%20 ... ctions.pdf
No where else do I see someone sharing so much technical information than Jim (he has over 2000 posts here on this forum which is currently the most!)
Dan
And that is why Jim is a Pinz Guru. You can still share info, but be the best at its implementation. It is when you close ranks and act like the seagulls in Finding Nemo...."Mine!" that people move on....just sayin.

Sent from my Mobile
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

You don't need 4 pages of posts to discuss Jim's EFI:
It's well made and mapped, and has worked like a charm.
He supports it, and it's available.
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

2 small leaks from the fuel distribution box. Seems the powder coating was holding them for the fist few weeks. On a drive to Paulsbo this weekend the powder coating gave way and started spraying. Used JB weld to get her home then today I brought it up to a friend that welds aluminum inter coolers to make the perm repair.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

All I can tell from ALL the pinz efi units is they are not for me. Too expensive to fix a problem that could have been fixed at a fraction of the cost by having the carbs done by someone that actually know carburetors. They can have new bushings and shafts installed, the main problem with the carbs for just a couple hundred and then work fine. Worst case is you have to through a rebuild kit in but that is still not the total cost of an efi and messing around with it (read too complicated for a simpleton like me). When something goes a miss with a carb on the trail I know I can get home without walking, unlike the efi units. Like most mods for the pinz each individual has to figure out what they value is to them and how much fiddling they want to do. I know Tony gets my trucks once a year, for emissions) and I put them through the ringer each year and they work fine.
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

A good EFI system is hard to beat in my opinion. Having done a conversion to a VW type 4 doka, a VW type 1 single cab and now the Pinz I don't think I will want to go back to carbs. Granted my 23 window bus still has duel delortos but for that toy I do not want EFI.
A well set up EFI needs little to no fiddling, runs great at any temp or altitude and has way less mechanical parts that can go bad. Plus when you use something like ford Taurus parts you can go to a junk yard or local parts store to pick them up.
A new set of carbs will set you back 2.5k. An EFI system, if you do the work yourself should not be anymore.
Then the benefits of lower temps, better gas milage,more tork and hp.
You can also recoup up to half of what you spent by selling the distributor and carbs.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

your going to compare new to old, not a good comparison. I bought a set of rebuilt carbs for $650 for the pair, cheaper then having the EFI plenum built. For someone who has little to no knowledge of EFI, it is way too complicated to try and figure out on the trail when something goes wrong. Even a simple problem with EFI would be hard for me to diagnose. finding EFI parts on the trail is gonna be tough but the carbs can be made to work, heck the truck will run on just one carb in an emergency.

To each there own, they are just not for me.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

:shock: What’s going to happen to EFI after an EMP? :shock: :lol:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

edzz wrote::shock: What’s going to happen to EFI after an EMP? :shock: :lol:
:lol:
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »