J.R.'s EFI Kit

Engine troubles? Try here.
westernair
United States of America

J.R.'s EFI Kit

Post by westernair »

Well as I stated in a previous thread, I have purchased and am installing a Jake Raby EFI kit.
I know that others have had some issues in the past, but that does not detour my direction.
I will however not be modifing my existing air cleaner just incase I decide to go back at a later date.
I have heard that others with this system have used an aftermarket K&N type filter. Can someone share a photo of that installation?
So far the installation is going together fine, I will be drilling and placing the magnets later today. Here is a inprogress photo of the work. Note that I am not going with Aeroquip fittings in the beginning, I am just using german high pressure hose until I get things sorted out and running smoothly. Then I will probably take the hoses off and replace them with the $$$ Aroquip fittings and SS braided hoses.
So in addition to the air cleaner, anyone have any words to the wise they would be willing to share with me on this? Any and all positive comments are appreciative.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: J.R.'s EFI Kit

Post by 4x4Pinz »

no real comments other than I hope you get yours up and running. It would be nice to hear from SOMEBODY who spent the time and money on these units. Funny how they just fell off the face of the earth once they got into peoples hands. With all the discussion that went on before I would have expected some reviews.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Does anyone still on this board even have one installed?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I don't recall anyone posting much information about them on here. We did have lots of conversation about them for the two or so years it took to develop, then nothing. I know that Jake had a forum setup on a private part of his site to help with the installs when they released just never heard much about them.
I am just curious if this was a boat I missed or one I am glad I was not on.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Well I hope install goes well
I have nothing to offer but will be excited to see how it turns out
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Fuel system hooked up. ImageImage
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

If you haven't already, I'd definitely consider some anti-chafe sleeving on those fuel lines where they tunnel through the manifold. Look'in good so far! SDS is a good company and I'm sure will help you sort things out if needed.
'76 710K
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

THat is a good point. I plan on replacing all my lines with SS and AiroQuip fittings shortly after getting it up and running. If per-chance I don't do that I will definatly sleave them. Thanks for the tip!

Not much to share today, I have to go find a glycerin filled fuel gage tomorrow to fill the hole on the fuel box.
The install is going slowly as I am making sure everything is done to the best of my ability.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

x2
TechMOGogy wrote:Well I hope install goes well
I have nothing to offer but will be excited to see how it turns out
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

To this point the hardest part was getting the crank pully off the engine and then installing the magnets.
The secound hardest part was in order to install the block off plate for the distributor, I had to do a bit of grinding on the block to get the plate t line up correctly. This is a requirement as the transducer that picks up the magnet pulse mounts to it.

On a side note, I did an exaustive search on this site for info on these systems but was surprised that I could not find anything outside of the 18 month diatribe as people waited for them to after paying their deposit.
Others have indicated that there was good information posted about these some time ago, but nothing seems to come up when I do my search.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Others have indicated that there was good information posted about these some time ago, but nothing seems to come up when I do my search.
Jake had a back page set up on his site where owners could talk about the installation. If you could contact him, it is possible that still exist. Unfortunately it was not open to the public so information may be hard to come by.

Hoping you get it working so we can have at least ONE report on them.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

westernair wrote: SNIP

Others = sellor??
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

There are still a few lits that I know of that were never installed. I suspect after I am done there maybe renewed interest in either installing them finnaly or maybe selling them...
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

IIRC, Raby had a private site set up only for the people who paid for the kits. No one else was allowed to see/follow what transpired. Since it was private, who knows what info was shared there. Too bad.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Unfortunatly, when I asked him about that, this was his response to the question

Snip from a email he sent me today

1. Is there still a back page that owners have made posts to about these units?
>>>I closed it in 2009 after most all the units were installed and tuned.

Becided that he does seen very helpful so far with some simple questions I have asked about the installation.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold