Pinzi SSI

Engine troubles? Try here.
pinzinator

Re: Pinzi SSI

Post by pinzinator »

There have been some concerns about water resistance with the 4.0 version, which has been reviewed by our engineering department. There is a simple recommendation to prevent this that can be done in an hour for under $20. All future PinzSSI 4.01 ignitions will include these 2 modifications.
First, remove the coil assembly and stack 2 washers where the mounting holes are to create a gap under the coil plate. This will prevent water pudding under the coils and possibly damaging soldered connections there.
While you have the coil out, use some conformal coating made by MG Chemicals and cover all of the solder connections on the coil circuit board, top and bottom. Just the circuitry, not the coils or voltage converter. This product is available on Amazon for about $13 for the liquid version. Use a small foam rubber brush to wipe it on. 2 coats is good, and it dries fast.
Click on the link below to see a video demonstration of the results-
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1vqWtMu8HtUfQfpt9

IMG_6002.jpg
IMG_6002.jpg (109.63 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
Stacked washers
2022-09-17 06_07_50-Window.png
2022-09-17 06_07_50-Window.png (162.61 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
Conformal coating
IMG_6901.jpg
IMG_6901.jpg (129.04 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
Underside of the coil pack treated
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

The supply chain problems that have struck due to COVID and the Democrat's lack of response has finally hit PinzSSI. We are out of stock for possibly up to 3 months.
We will post a notification when we are back to work.
jan.bauwmans

Post by jan.bauwmans »

Oh I'am glad I ordered just in time then..
I hope to receive it tomorrow or Friday as it is currently checked by Belgian Customs

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G998B met Tapatalk

pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

PinzSSI is closing its doors!
Thanks for 10 years of business, the time has come for PinzSSI to hang it up. All gas Pinzgauers approaching 50 years old, and most of them are beat pieces of poop anymore. Trying to install a sensitive computer ignition system on a vehicle that has been through the life of a Pinzgauer is a lost cause. Like putting lipstick on a pig, it simply doesn’t work with the best of intentions.
The vehicle’s electrical system has to be in peak operating condition for PinzSSI to operate, and the engine must be in good condition, too. Sadly, this is rarely the case with most Pinzgauers. Neglect, abuse, and old age is catching up with a lot of owners.
We have also had enough problems with buyers who can’t follow Installation directions or own a basic set of tools. Enough is enough at this point, it’s just not worth the hassle.
We advise you to go with Pertronix, but don’t install the civilian conversion. Stay with the stock distributor cap, rotor, and get new plug wires.
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

This is disappointing but I guess I understand. Once a pinz ssi user, there is no going back. I hope mine functions for a long time in the face of the inability to replace or repair. As for the rest of my Pinz, I expect it to do well for quite some time.
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Sorry to hear this Rick, you and your diligent staff at PinzSSI have been absolutely AWESOME.
Your support and responsiveness sets a pretty damn high bar, I sure appreciated your help in the past.

Would you be willing to post the Powerarc PN#'s and Eaton converter in case someone
is in need of a replacement part -- I have a spare board and timing wheel and boy am I
glad I do !

Yup, your right, these buggies are getting tired, but proper maintenance and staying on top
of issues keeps them rolling. Yours always looked like it just drove off the show room :shock:

Cheers Rick!
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I will continue to try to get parts, as I have no inventory at all. I can't stay in business that way.
The part numbers for the module is on the module or the PowerArc web site. As for the converter, the number is on that. I have several converters in stock and will match any price.
I can also convert older ignitions to the 4.0 version that has a 24v converter. This involves a complete new harness and base plate. Contact me at pinzssi@outlook.com for a price. Turnaround is 1 day.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

Any chance you'll share the electrical/firmware details in case others want to pick up this work and learn from your developments? Or even just to help fix ones that break down?

This long-lived electrical engineer is still working a day job, but retirement is on the near horizon and this might be a project I'd want to pick up. I'm in the automotive industry now and embedded systems like this are my sweet-spot.

Sorry to hear you're going to hang it up, but I get how frustrating things like this can be sometimes.

Still, I think you've created a large group of advocates out there. Me? I'm still close to stock mostly because I wanted to keep it as much original as possible, but like in aircraft, I can see the great benefits from something with more precision and a real advance curve.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I'm still available for repairs, upgrades, and questions. If and when parts are again available I will advise.