Will not run at an idel

Engine troubles? Try here.
dadnova
United States of America

Will not run at an idel

Post by dadnova »

Lately the Pinz stopped idling, it runs when the driving but stops running when ever I let off the gas.
One thing I notice upon inspection is the four elec. things at the bottom of the carbs- two on each carb, they do not "click" when the wire is removed and re-connected. I know they did before. I have not found a fuse in-line and I dont know how to check them. How do you test them?

Could this be the problem?
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Will not run at an idel

Post by pcolette »

The cutoff valves are most likely the problem. The cutoff valves shut off fuel to the carbs when the ignition key is turned off. If the valve fails, it defaults to the off position. They are tested just as you did, with the ignition key on, by removing the connector at each valve and listening for the "click" when each is reconnected. They are powered by circuit breaker #10. Your horn, fan and wipers are also on breaker #10. It is very unlikely that all cutoff valves failed at the same time so I would suspect the breaker is popped or failed.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Just check for 24V to the solenoids. As Paul said, the most likely culprit is circuit breaker; and then follow the wiring harness from the solenoids backwards, looking for any damage or disconnections that would prevent the 24V from getting to them.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

This happened to me a couple of times and fortunately the solution was simple. The engine would run at high rpms but when I let off the gas it would cut off/die. On the side of the carbs there are 4 small electrical connections. One for each cylinder. One of the would become unplugged. As a result it would not pump fuel into the carb at low idle. They are located on the drivers side. Check them. If you have a loose connection at any of them it may explain your trouble. My two cents :P
dadnova
United States of America

Post by dadnova »

None of them clicked, however the breaker was not popped as the Horn worked fine.

Ran a hot wire to the cylinoids and they all clicked once again, so back tracked them to the Electrical connector, when disconnecting it, WAMO, they clicked on.

The issue was just a dirty connection were the wire harness plug connects on the passenger side above the shroud.

A little gasoline and a fine soft brush on both sides, blow air dry, connect and away she goes.

Back on the road again.

Thanks guys.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Put a bit of De-ox or similar corrosion inhibitor on the connectors (thick grease works just as well) to exclude dust, dirt, moisture, and prevent problems in the future. Be sure to check the crimp area of the connectors (where the wire transitions into the metal of the terminal) as these are often overlooked, and corrode just as easily. Again, a liberal coating of grease will be helpful.
Jim M.
712W and 710M