Good bye propane... hello gasoline...

Engine troubles? Try here.
boeing7873
Argentina

Good bye propane... hello gasoline...

Post by boeing7873 »

This winter I decided to convert back to gasoline my 710K, after more than 10 years of fun running on propane. I bought the truck sometime in 2005 or 2006 from a man who had converted the engine to run on propane, I believe, just for fun. Here are the pros and cons of the propane conversion:
Pros:
Easy conversion DIY - no modifications to the original truck, can be reverted to gasoline 100% in a day.
Very low maintenance. In 10 years I only had to change rubber diaphragms on safety valve and vaporizer once.
Clean
Easy starts - runs in any inclination.
Alternative fuel - some tax credits, use of HOV lanes.
No noticeable power loss for regular city use (I just stated using gasoline and I estimate increase in power in 4 to 8%.
Fuel always available, U-Haul for large quantities, or most gas stations will exchange the standard grill bottles (4 to 5 gallons).
Price fluctuates, summer time is cheaper.

Cons
Loss of interior space for the tanks (with some engineering, maybe the tanks could be mounted under the truck)
Dependence on propane sellers who usually have regular business hours (U-Haul is my main provider, 8am to 7pm normally)
Planning trips for refuel. Exchanging small bottles gets expensive.
In cold weather, my particular setup would not work well. The vaporizer freezed up and the Pinz oil temperature would not be enough to heat it up. This could be solved with electrical heaters or better oil distribution around the vaporizer. Runs great from spring to autumn.

What you need:
Gas tanks (expensive if you go with nice automotive approved) I paid about $900 for a Sleegers 33 gallons double tank.
Manifold and gaskets - look at the pics, nothing that a local machine shop can't do. Start from a square tube, some holes, bolts...
Carburetor - I believe mine is an IMPCO 225, goes for about $250.
Lockoff valve - VFF30 for about $50
Vaporizer - Impco JB-2 for $80
Oil filter relocation kit - not for relocation but needed to tap for warm oil to heat vaporizer.
May want to play with an electronic fuel controller. The truck had one installed, it will lean the mixture based on a sensor in the exhaust pipes.
It never worked really well and ended up disconnected over time. Working properly, should reduce consumption and increase power.
The most expensive item: TIME!

Here are a couple of pictures of the manifold/carburetor and vaporizer/lock install.

Jerome
jc4045808447 at gmail dot com
Jerome
CRJ Driver
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Good bye propane... hello gasoline...

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I see a dangerous looking hornet's nest of wiring hell.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

Well... all those cables are for that controller that I never managed to do anything. Disregard all those wires.
Jerome
CRJ Driver
dadnova
United States of America

Post by dadnova »

I have converted my small engines to run on Propane, Chipper Shredder, Generator and such. Only cost about $8. to due each engine. I love it as they are MUCH cheaper to run now.

Not sure about my car propane much more involved as the RPMs varies up and down all the time.