Anyone tried NGK Iridium spark plugs?

Engine troubles? Try here.
GRCameron
United States of America

Anyone tried NGK Iridium spark plugs?

Post by GRCameron »

I'm wondering if NGK Iridium spark plugs would provide any better performance/longevity over the standard plugs. The standard plug is BP6ES, non resistor, while the Iridium BPR6EIX is a resistor plug. The resistor is there for noise suppression, or so they say. Is a resistor plug detrimental in a Pinz?

I have solid core unshielded wires in a conversion from military coil to civilian plugs with Pertronix Ignitor.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
ngk iridium.jpg
ngk iridium.jpg (16.02 KiB) Viewed 3063 times
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
Garrycol
Australia

Re: Anyone tried NGK Iridium spark plugs?

Post by Garrycol »

I have them in my Haflinger. They provide a much stronger spark and hence in tough conditions like if things oil up or the engine is running rich there is less sooting up of the plug - they just keep going where normal plugs may stop working.

They also have a life about 5 times that of normal plugs - not heard about the resister thing - my Iridiums are a straight replacement for the NGKs I normally use in the Haffie - but I do not have a radio.

I am also using a Pertronix module and all works fine.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Many new vehicles are fitted with Iridium or Platinum plugs as original equipment and do not seem to have issues.
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

The article makes perfect sense to me, but with that said, I'm successfully using Nippondenso Iridium plugs in all my vehicles including the Pinz. I have the Petronix with Flamethrower coil. I suppose carrying 4 "standard plugs wouldn't be a bad idea. The Iridiums are expensive! sparkplugs.com If you have a question of a weak ignition issue, I'd give the copper plugs a shot. I switched to iridium because of the morning oiling issue. If I get off my but and add the intake valve seals, it wouldn't be a concern.
'76 710K