Engine stalled, now won't start

Engine troubles? Try here.
pinzinator

Re: Engine stalled, now won't start

Post by pinzinator »

You have it wired correctly. Press the little button that is below the battery connection on the relay. You should get 12 volts at each terminal. Do you get 12 volts at the battery connection at the relay? You should at all times. The battery connection looks to be correct. Take a reading from the battery connection to the frame, you should read 12 volts. Call me if you can't get it going 760-775-5160.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

The ground side of the relay, which is next to the 24 volt connection, has to have a good ground connection to the vehicle frame for the relay to close. The plate that the coil and relay is mounted on has to be grounded to the frame through the mounting bolt. Run a jumper from the ground connection of the relay to a solid frame/chassis connection and turn the key on. If the relay closes, the ground is good and the voltage readings will be correct. You may have to run a permanent grounding jumper from the relay to the frame.
redruf
United States of America

Post by redruf »

We'll give it a shot next weekend, too late now.....Thanks...

Oh Yeah, I took a voltage reading and I kept getting a constant 12 volts on the ignition connection even with the ignition off. The reading on the yellow wire is still 22 volts with the ignition on and zero with the ignition off. Reading on the wire directly connected to the battery is zero with ignition on or off. I am going to replace the wire next weekend and see what happens. If that doesn't get a reading than I'll definitely put a ground wire.

Thanks again,
Alex
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

The wire from the battery should read 12 volts all the time. If it doesn't, the connection at the battery or the relay is bad. This is assuming the VOM is OK. Call me if you have ANY questions.
redruf
United States of America

Post by redruf »

Just wanted to thank everyone for helping me with my engine problems.

Many thanks goes out to David Dunn who pointed out the fact that I did not have a Petronix ignition system. Also gave me great advice on how to proceed from there and possible other projects. :)

Replaced the Voltage Regulator and purchased the PinzSSI. Pinzinator Rick helped out a lot with the installation and walking me through straightening out the wiring. Thanks Rick!

Starts right up. The Pinz runs great, no more backfires, exhaust smells much better, I probably have to do something with the idle and mixture though.

Thanks again :D