24v fuel pump and regulator

Engine troubles? Try here.
pinzinator

Re: 24v fuel pump and regulator

Post by pinzinator »

I installed a fuel pressure gauge today. The regulator setting was way off at just 2 PSI, too low. I bumped it up to 2.8 PSI, which is slightly above Jim's recommendation. Now I can check the pressure while going down the road if I want.
I know the zip ties are sloppy, those are just temporary until I put something more permanent in place.

Here's a link to one site that sells the gauge-

http://sto00.mailcar.net/catalog/index. ... GoogleBase
GRCameron
United States of America

Post by GRCameron »

Is the gauge glycerin filled so it doesn't destroy itself due to vibration?
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

No, it isn't filled. I contacted the manufacturer and they recommended not leaving it connected to the engine full-time in this application. No problem, it's easy to connect and disconnect once the engine cover is off. I'll just keep it in my toolbox.
I read in the repair manual that 4.3 PSI is the recommended fuel pressure (.3 bar), but I have read on this site that only around 2.5 PSI or so is OK. I'm not sure which way to go, so I'll just make some adjustments though that range and see if there is any noticeable difference in performance.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Has anyone else installed an electric fuel pump like this? I really like it, the engine starts right up after about 10 seconds and doesn't stall. No choke needed, either. I recommend it!
hatzlibutzli
Germany

Post by hatzlibutzli »

Here in Europe we use those Hardi-Pumps: http://www.hardi-automotive.de/en/products/pumps-1224v/

They are cheap (50-90€) and have profen their durability.

There are two things to mention:
- the vehicle roll, died motor with still fuel pumped kan be solved with a relais souce from the D+ from the alternator ... With the standing alternator, the fuel pump is dead as well
- if the fuel-level-valves are not tight (problem with some aftermarket valves) the fuel level in the swimmers chamber rises and causes inappropriate fattening of the mixture .. with the possible consequence of washed away oil film on the cylinder wall and possible consecutive piston seizure ... so check your float level as shown above

Best regards

Simon