How to remove the condenser from the stock distributor?

Engine troubles? Try here.
dadnova
United States of America

How to remove the condenser from the stock distributor?

Post by dadnova »

It seems the condenser is on the side of the distributor, but I cannot see how it is attached other than shoved into the hole in the body of the distributor it sits in, with hose pliers I cannot remove it, but I don't see what is holding it in?

Help needed,
waterdog
Paraguay

Re: How to remove the condenser from the stock distributor?

Post by waterdog »

remove the rotor cap n try pushing from the inside. there is a small hole where the wire comes in. poke it with a fine screwdriver or sort
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
1988 PAJERO CAMEL SPECIAL 042/150
RPinAZ
United States of America

Re: How to remove the condenser from the stock distributor?

Post by RPinAZ »

Riviving an old thread. I recently faced this problem. Figured I'd post here for future searches. The condenser is pressed in. I tried turning it with pliers, no joy. Tried pushing on it through the hole where the wire exits with a small screw driver, again no luck. It is one with the distributor. So, I removed the distributor and cut the end off the condenser with a dremel tool then drilled the guts out until it was just a hollow tube. I then collapsed it in on itself with a punch. Still couldn't get it out but with vise grips on it I was able to turn it a little. Ended up clamping what was left of the condenser in a vise and then hit the drive end of the distributor with a rawhide mallet. After sever whacks, the condenser came out.

I pressed the new one in using a tool I turned on the lathe.

If I ever have to do this again, I think I will cut the end off as before, then smash it flat, drill a hole and then remove it with a slide hammer. It's too bad that the center line of the bore is so close to the seal for the cap. If there was some separation, you could drill and tap a hole from the topside and screw in a bolt to push the condenser out and then locktite in a set screw to seal it afterwards.

There may be better ways to do this, but this was my experience.

-RP