speedometer not working

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
indigoth

speedometer not working

Post by indigoth »

so, the other day, the speedo stopped working. today was my first chance to look at it. the right-angle drive seems fine. even with it bypassed, the speedo still doesn't work. I even drove around the block with the speedo end in clear view so I could watch it. holding gentle pressure on the end and everything ... that cable aint' turning, so I KNOW it's not the actual speedometer. checked both ends of the cable, and while it may be broken in the middle somewhere, it appears ok and when i turn one end, the other end turns too ... so I suspect it's ok, but I'll look at it closer my next chance. I'm wondering, now, about the inside-the-transmission speedo drive gears. I see from the parts book, there are two gears inside there that mesh together. I'm guessing one has a few teeth missing, now, but I'd expect that only of a plastic gear, given there were no unpleasant noises of any kind when it failed.

soooo, my questions

is the smaller pinion gear able to be replaced without opening up that part of the tranny or do I have to take that front plate/casting off to get to it?

are either of those two gears in there that mesh together made out of plastic?

exploded view at the bottom of this post. http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... php?t=5695 gears in question are #s 4 & 11 #1 is metal and shows no signs of stress or wear and turns freely with no resistance when installed.

thanks in advance

jim
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

That is not the transmission, it is the front differential.
There are two types of failure, 1 stripped teeth on the driven gear, 2 Drive gear loose on pinion shaft(requires tie rods/ centering arm/ front support/bumper assembly removal) see repair manual for details.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."