Portal Fluid/Leak Question

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Smiley

Portal Fluid/Leak Question

Post by Smiley »

I picked up a 712m Pinz a few months ago and verified all fluids were topped off. When doing this I noticed that some of the portal fluids seemed overfilled (when I removed the top plug it ran out immediatly). Forward a few months and a pinz sitting in a garage that gets upwards of 95 F and I noticed there was a leak in the front right portal. I figured a seal went bad and pulled the pinz out, cleaned up the ground and then wiped down the area around the fill/drain bolts to verify the leaks location. I waited a few days and have yet to verify where it came from. I opened up the top fill plug to find that the fluid is still topped off. It also semed when I pulled the plug that it was pressurized inside (small sound when I cracked the bolt)

So my question, could some of the fluid get up around the portal gasket seal, and when stored in a very hot garage expand enough to break the seal and leak? I drove it around the neighborhood for about 5 minutes and there still isnt anything leaking from it 24 hours later. The only other fluid I know in that area would be brakes and they worked fine. Am I missing something else? Thanks

Smiley
undysworld
Norway

Re: Portal Fluid/Leak Question

Post by undysworld »

To answer your question, I doubt it. I'd expect operating temps in hot climates must be higher than anything in the garage, unless that garage gets a whole lot hotter than I'm imagining.

One thing to be on the watch for might be a leak between the differential and the axle causing that portal to gain fluid. If that happens, then you get the portal/s overfilled like that. It's seals and o-rings in the diff, in that case. Keep a close eye on the related differential fluid levels, as they'll run low.

I believe a slight burp is normal when opening the plugs. Caused by pressure when operating.
Smiley

Post by Smiley »

undysworld - Thank you for the info. I will keep an eye out on all the fluids and try to figure this one out.

Smiley
Garymartin

Post by Garymartin »

Hi smiley,
just reading your thread same thing happened to me,have 718k, my thread is in the turbo d section.Managed to drain and refill all drives on one side very pleased with my self,(being mechanically challenged)undone front passenger side filler plug and oil all over me.there was no pressure from the other plugs on removal,drained about 200ml from each drive, which is a bit of a worry ,it says in manual should be 400ml. I need to know if you can drive without causing any damage until offending seal/s can be replaced. let me know if you find problem/fix.

Regards

Garymartin.