copper crush washer (seal, rings)

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Rangefinder

copper crush washer (seal, rings)

Post by Rangefinder »

I have been in the process of changing out all the fluids on my 712. I managed to get out all of the oil plugs, some with great difficulty, but there out, however 90% of the copper rings that accompany the plugs are still embedded at the bottom of the threads going into the gear body, Any suggestions on how to get them out, I have new ones to take there place but they are very reluctant to leave, the two I managed to extract took about an hour each , any suggestions would be appreciated
It looks a bit like they have corroded into their seated position
I have no way of knowing how much torque was used to put them in , however most of the hex bolts were stripped quite badly and I have received new ones as well,
All the suggestions on the site have been excellent and am following them but have not found anything on how to get these little copper rings out
thanks
dale
undysworld
Norway

Re: copper crush washer (seal, rings)

Post by undysworld »

Dale,

As you've likely surmised, they are not designed to crush into that location and be stuck there. I'd assume yours received some extra pressure above that which is required.

That being the case, I'm unaware of any standard procedure for pulling them out. I've had to force a few out, and used a flat-blade screw driver and a pick, IIRC. My guess is, you'll get faster with practice. Best wishes on a no-fun job.
Rangefinder

Post by Rangefinder »

Thanks
I'll head into town this morning and try to find some of those pick tools.
I had been using the flat blade but still could not hook them out.
Appreciate it
dale
Rangefinder

Post by Rangefinder »

Thanks so much for the great advice
picked up a set of picks for 6 bucks
had all of the rings out in 20 minutes
I really really appreciate it
Dale