OIL-LEAKS: the pinz-bane

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
JNijst
Netherlands

OIL-LEAKS: the pinz-bane

Post by JNijst »

Gents,

After years, suddenly two points are starting to leak, that never did before...
My Pinz did not leak before, because I bought a Puch-factory overhauled (in 1995-1997 all Austrian Army Pinzes were factory-overhauled) Pinz in 2007, that then had a new-refurbished engine, start-motor and carburetor and only drove it about 4000 km since then because of other issues.
Anyway; after bumping on a speed-bump my steering-gear-box started to leak. We took it apart and put new seals on it. It still leaks a little from the hole where the wire goes in, hopefully it will stop after a while when the excess has 'leaked out'
The 2 new leaks are:
Gearbox-selector-shaft
Steering-link and damper
It probably is a simple question, but I would think the seals are cracked and started to leak. Has anybody renewed these seals and how hard was it to do. ?
- The gearbox-selector seems like you have to approach from the top at the back of the Pinz, ie take off the gear-box-cover
- The Steering-link seems like a hard job, as you have to take off a lot of rods and put the them back exactly where they were...
Suggestion as two which seals to order and renew ?

As always, thanks a million in advance for your comments

Best regards,

Jules.

PS I hope soon to add a tech-section to show how to remove a steering-column, just need to pictures to be sent my way...
Attachments
SteeerLink+Damper_small.jpg
SteeerLink+Damper_small.jpg (163.22 KiB) Viewed 9213 times
GearSelector_small.jpg
GearSelector_small.jpg (149.07 KiB) Viewed 9213 times
DSCF1345small.jpg
DSCF1345small.jpg (133.52 KiB) Viewed 9213 times
DSCF1348_small.jpg
DSCF1348_small.jpg (150.97 KiB) Viewed 9213 times
DSCF1347_small.jpg
DSCF1347_small.jpg (131.09 KiB) Viewed 9213 times
Pinz of rock - 710M / 1975 (Austrian Army)
63rover
Canada

Re: OIL-LEAKS: the pinz-bane

Post by 63rover »

Hello Jules,

I wouldn't recommend renewing the seals unless the leak is substantial. Your photos seem to show seepage rather than a leak. Is there oil under the truck? If not, or very little, you may just want to check the level, top up if needed, clean the oil off the truck with something like aerosol brake cleaner, and drive it. A single drop of oil will spread to appear to be a substantial leak in dirt and corrosion. Minor oil seepage on any old tractor is a fact of life. :) Unless you are going to develop concourse d'excellence disease I would start there.

Good luck.

Cheers, Clive
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Hi Clive,

I forgot to mention that I wiped the leaks, so they look better than 'for real', however it is my wife who hates oil-leaks on the driveway...
They are only small leaks, but they are persistent and remember" Mama ain't happy, - nobody - ain't happy...

The oil-leak where the wire goes in the steering-column-gear, suddenly started to leak badly, probably after I 'ruined' the liquid-seal we had put there, by feeling at it... It is the only place that is oil-wet. So it is either broken at the bottom of the the long protruding stem (where the wire goes through - Nr 32), or 'excess oil' -leaked in the column (nr 27) is now above the stem-length and 'overflows', but this is not very likely, as it did not overflow when I filled it up the other day.
I want to put some sort of rubber seal around the wire and shove it in the hole, but it still means taking off the steering column again, as I cannot get at it - too close to the floor-board.

Anyway thanks for your comments, I do appreciate that is the 'normal' way of having an old army-truck.

Best regards,

Jules
Attachments
img090_small.jpg
img090_small.jpg (152.55 KiB) Viewed 9194 times
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

I can tell you about the transmission leak. Super easy and one you should repair, because low transmission fluid is a problem and left unattended your driveway will look like crap and you run the risk of damaging your transmission.

There is a really great post titled "tranny oil leak...." in drivetrain. Look it up, walks you through step by step. Few bucks in parts and about an hour and you'll be done. Just make sure to put the seals facing the right way, saves you from having to do it twice.

Since I repaired that, no leaks at all. And it's not like the seals had cracked or anything, just old and worn out.
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Thanks Texas710 !

That is a good article about it.
I looked it up and have some hope that it should be possible, but not easy, unless you take the whole housing off.
I'll see how far I get

Best regards
Jules.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

think of it as a rust inhibitor. Added benefit.

All of my trucks have had that type of leak. My TD transmission leaves quarter size marks in the parking space. I keep the fluids up and eye on it, but never worry. Its all part of the 40+ year old truck experience.

When, not if, but when the leak increases to significant loss, I'll consider a teardown.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Jules, before the days of happily divorced I had a sheet of plywood under my old 63 Land Rover (LR= oil leaks) to keep the peace. It only work for the truck. :lol:

Cheers, Clive
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

I found a product from an outfit called newpig.com

They make all kinds of oil absorbing materials, I bought a 100' roll of a cloth type oil mat that has a sticky side that grips to concrete or whatever, holds a lot of oil as well. Good stuff, I use it in the shop as shelf liner as well. Can't recommend it enough, I put it under all my cars. Might make the misses happier as well.

You do have to remove the tower on the transmission, no other way, but it couldn't be easier, I think 4 or 5 bolts. Just make sure to order a base gasket as well.
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Gents,

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I do have a 'special' type of sand that absorbs oil-stains, but having no leaks is better, if only for the cost of the spare parts. Again many thanks

Best regards,

Jules
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

I have had an annoying engine oil leak on the push-rod flange of cylinder #3 for nearly
one year. Not major but given 30 to 60 miles on the HWY I would see a leak under the
truck about diameter of a silver dollar. For long runs 500 miles or more the length of the
tube would have a sheen of oil over it. I would loose about 1/2 a quart in about 500 to
1,000 miles.

Fixing this problem means tearing down the engine removing the head and cylinder.

I decided to try a product from Lucus Oil called Stop Leak, which contains no solvents
and is compatible with petroleum-based and synthetic oils -- claims to do no harm, works
on expanding/restoring the fibers of cellulose gaskets.

The recommended dose is 20% of Oil capacity and expected results within 400 miles of usage.

This past winter I used 1QT of Lucas Stop Leak with 6.5 QT of my standard Phillips Aviation Grade Oil
which is about 14% concentration -- decided to go conservative on this additive although I do trust Lucas.
Interesting enough the leak STOPPED cold but it did take about 700 miles to take effect -- do to the
reduced concentration.

I recently changed Oil and added a 9% concentration of Lucas Stop leak, then did a 1,000 miles back
and forth from the Bay Area to Mojave.

My plan is to drop the concentration again to about 6% as a maintenance level to maintain tight seals.

Seems to work as advertised -- even better, getting results at nearly 1/2 the recommended dose.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Hi R Mel,

Looks very interesting ! I might just try this for maintenance at reduced concentration. I am seeing some black oil near the cylinder-heads, but no drops as yet...

Thanks for the info!

Best regards,

Jules Nijst
bikmakr
United States of America

Post by bikmakr »

Along these lines. I have replaced my oil pan gasket twice with no luck. I first used 3M yellow weatherstrip and gasket maker; let it develop a skin and assembled, using moderate torque. Leaked like a sieve. All surfaces scraped and cleaned. Next, Permatex spray on gasket seal. Same results. Using SAV gaskets. Help !! Dripping on the garage floor, 5 drips a day.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I use the original cork gaskets from SAV and Permatex Aviation Sealant only on the pan. Hasn't failed me yet.
Do you have all the original square washers on the studs and are they dish shaped or have they flattened out?

I had one Pinz that I thought had an oil pan leak but turned out to be oil leaking from above on the driver's side and dripping off the edge of the pan.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

I just did my oil pan. It took a lot of cleaning to get the previous junk off, there was blue stuff, red stuff, all from the previous owner.

New gasket, permatex aviation "form a gasket" on the pan side and torqued bolts to 11nm (from memory - it's in the manual, don't take my word for it!) No leaks.

I would check your pan to make sure there are no gouges in the metal, or it's not warped, it's lower compared to a lot of the truck and can take some beatings
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Also verify you don't have a rear main seal leak. If your leak is localized to the back of the oil pan, it's possible (though not very likely) oil is leaking from there.
1977 Austrian 710M