Hub wear ring question

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Buzz
United States of America

Hub wear ring question

Post by Buzz »

I am replacing another hub seal and noticed that the wear rings on my last two axles were so loose, they came off by hand. In the video from EI, I get the impression it would be better if they were tight against the back of the hub flange. I noticed on this repair, the O ring was worn flat and there was a polished line on the inside of the hub, implying the wear ring was stuck in the seal and not rotating with the hub.

So, which is it? It seems like the wear ring should be fixed to the hub and spinning with the shaft and not the other way around. If so, what's the solution? - Buzz
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
Profpinz
Australia

Re: Hub wear ring question

Post by Profpinz »

Usually the raceways are tight and require extraction by mechanical means, buy I have run into loose units over the years.......btw the raceway should be firmly attached to the wheel flange/stub axle.
I usually stick the loose raceways in place with Loctite and also thoroughly coat the O ring, but the drawback is that the Loctite initially makes the raceway and O ring slippery and without friction to hold it down the parts want to "spring apart".
To overcome the above problem I fit a length of scrap tubing over the stub axle and then add a suitably sized washer, so I can screw the tube down and therefore clamp the raceway fully in place....... at least till the Loctite cures.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

That makes perfect sense. Of course, I need to take that hub back apart to do that! Also, I think I will use Right Stuff in lieu of the O ring when I glue the raceway in place. Thanks for the reply.
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

Just realized I never followed up on this post. I did use Loc Tite to glue the raceway down and I used Right Stuff (a gasket maker that comes from a can) in lieu of the O ring. I let the whole thing set up over night and then installed as normal. The Right Stuff sets up in place without making the raceway rebound like in the past when I tried using an O ring and I feel much more confident this repair will last longer than some of the others I have done. Thanks, Peter for the reply.
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Not a problem Buzz...... sounds like you've got the work well in hand!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com