Reverse gear angle/shifter adjustment

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
namtinker
Canada

Reverse gear angle/shifter adjustment

Post by namtinker »

Gents
A question regarding the angle/shifter adjustment for reverse (and protection for going direct from first to reverse).
I reviewed the available threads, the manual, and had an assistant manipulate while I observe from below. My top circlip was broken, so that was replaced. I have all the parts in place, but can still go directly to reverse.
The question:
- Looking at the operation, adjustment of the shifter lever vertical height should be such that in first, the pin on the shifter operates longitudinally within the cut-out slot, but above the angle. When pushed down into reverse, should the pin go down in the same longitudinal plane but slide just below the angle?
From second onwards it functions outside the influence of the angle.

If anybody has the time, would it be possible to post photos from below in the following positions:
first, neutral, neutral with leverpush down, reverse.

Thanks
mopar
United States of America

Re: Reverse gear angle/shifter adjustment

Post by mopar »

namtinker wrote:Gents
A question regarding the angle/shifter adjustment for reverse (and protection for going direct from first to reverse).
I reviewed the available threads, the manual, and had an assistant manipulate while I observe from below. My top circlip was broken, so that was replaced. I have all the parts in place, but can still go directly to reverse.
The question:
- Looking at the operation, adjustment of the shifter lever vertical height should be such that in first, the pin on the shifter operates longitudinally within the cut-out slot, but above the angle. When pushed down into reverse, should the pin go down in the same longitudinal plane but slide just below the angle?
From second onwards it functions outside the influence of the angle.

If anybody has the time, would it be possible to post photos from below in the following positions:
first, neutral, neutral with leverpush down, reverse.

Thanks
I just did mine and mine is a Swiss Pinz and I just moved the lock out bracket but my problem was the opposite I'd bump reverse trying to go from 1st to 2nd. I'm guessing your truck is an Austrian one?

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
namtinker
Canada

Post by namtinker »

Yes, Austrian. Looking at the diagram, my current adjustment in first looks like it should look in second.
Angle is adjusted max to left seen from below. When in second it is a long way away from the angle.
Which lead tomy question after observing from below. I dont want to start tuning at the back if there is something I missed but it seems like my left right alignment is off.
namtinker
Canada

Post by namtinker »

Solved. Adjustment was as I described above, and things are good again.