Trick To Installing Locker Knob?

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
bbolander
United States of America

Trick To Installing Locker Knob?

Post by bbolander »

Got a new locker knob from SAV with the little metal sleeve. Just bought the Pinz and it was missing. The sleeve length is the same as the large diameter hole in the knob and needs to get into the smaller diameter hole in the knob. I don't see a way to compress the sleeve diameter to get it into the smaller knob hole.

There must be a trick to this. How do you install a new knob and sleeve on the locker lever?

I have searched, didn't find an answer.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Trick To Installing Locker Knob?

Post by 4x4Pinz »

can we assume you are talking about this
http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... o=9009862/

if so the stainless grip ring goes into the knob first. The slit will allow it to go all the way in the knob. Slip the knob onto the shaft and the stainless ring will grip the shaft very well. Usually takes an adjustable wrench and light hammer tap to get them back off. Same with the shifter knob, transfer case selector, door handles, engine cover latches and of course locker control levers. There are a couple different sizes for each of these applications depending on the knob.
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. Wondering how to compress the sleeve enough to get it inside the small diameter hole in the knob since the entire sleeve sits in the large diameter opening first. Might try some needle nose pliers. Open to anyone's experience in doing that.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Perhaps a drill chuck, which could be tightened to compress the sleeve? The largest size chuck would likely provide the greatest support? I dunno. Never had this problem myself. Good luck.
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Got the new locker knob installed today. I used a small flathead screwdriver inserted alongside the metal insert resting in the knob to push the metal insert together and was able to push it in the smaller hole in the knob just a wee bit. Then tapped it with a hammer lightly holding the shaft, until it was not seeming to go further with about 1/4" left to go. Then I turned the knob by hand and got it the rest of the way down. After knowing this now, I'd probably try turning it down by hand the entire way.
IMG_1892 copy.jpg
IMG_1892 copy.jpg (461.51 KiB) Viewed 4303 times
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

What's the black on the locker levers?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

TechMOGogy wrote:What's the black on the locker levers?
Interesting observation, I've never paid attention to that before. It looks like someone has put plastic tube or rubber hose over the levers. It does fit perfectly in the body locker slots. Maybe to eliminate side to side movement, I notice the center one will move a little side to side.
IMG_1905 copy.jpg
IMG_1905 copy.jpg (416.78 KiB) Viewed 4286 times
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I like that - simple
Going to copy
Thx
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

I enlarged the picture to see better, and the white at the bottom is white cord in the hose, so it's rubber hose of some type.