Grease gun rebuild!?

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Grease gun rebuild!?

Post by McCall Pinz »

This might be too basic, but it took me a while to remember in the shop yesterday. :roll:

The Swiss grease gun is really nice actually- the top has a filler valve, air bleeder valve, and the ability to clean out the ball bearing valve. In my case, all of those were full of ancient grease and I'm working in a cold shop, so they weren't budging.
Pull the plunger out all the way to compress the spring and hook it on the little "keyhole" in the screwtop. Unscrew the assembly, dig out the old hard grease and refill with some new grease.
Remove the nut on the ball bearing valve and check for debris or waxy build-up and clean it out.
Remove the greasing tube and if necessary push a wire into it to break the old grease loose.
Open the top airbleeder screw.
Screw the plunger assembly back on, but keep the spring compressed.
Release the plunger from the keyhole and it will force the air out of the open bleeder valve. Wait until a little clean grease comes out of the air bleeder valve.
Start pumping until the old grease is out of the there.
The filler valve works if you're pumping grease into the gun from a 50 gal drum... not me.

If you like diagrams, these Abnox Wanner ones are very similar... probably the same parts.
http://www.abnox.com/en/990/Small-One-h ... ment=28376
Attachments
air bleeder valve, ball bearing valve (bolt), and filler valve
air bleeder valve, ball bearing valve (bolt), and filler valve
20170311_083657.jpg (61.41 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
20170311_083705.jpg
20170311_083705.jpg (95.85 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
compressed plunger
compressed plunger
20170311_083644.jpg (150.74 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
grease coming out the bleeder valve
grease coming out the bleeder valve
20170311_084220.jpg (63.33 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
bbolander
United States of America

Re: Grease gun rebuild!?

Post by bbolander »

Good to know. I tried to use mine but the fitting wouldn't go on the driveshaft zerks. My normal US grease gun worked fine.

I have no idea whether my u-joints are OEM or aftermarket. Or maybe like your's there's just hardened grease in the fitting preventing it from flexing to fit on the zerks.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I had the opposite problem- my US one oozed grease all over and this one fit snugly.
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

McCall Pinz wrote:I had the opposite problem- my US one oozed grease all over and this one fit snugly.
Well, that's consistent then with my u-joints being aftermarket with larger zerks!
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now