Marine lower unit gear lube

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Lewis
Great Britain

Marine lower unit gear lube

Post by Lewis »

Hello,
Does anyone have any experience good or bad using Marine Lower Gear Hypoid 90w in their portal hubs? Heres a link... http://a.co/7GXRXur
Thanks!
1982 710K ex-Bosnian Radio car
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: Marine lower unit gear lube

Post by Jimm391730 »

My question is: why would you want to use this lube? Pinz hubs are not hypoid, are not "water cooled", and are generally not expected to have much water ingress. I'm not saying it wouldn't be acceptable, but this seems like a much distant application compared to the plethora of gearbox oils that are expected to get warm (to hot) and still lube well. Then there is the unknown as to how this marine lube would affect or damage the brake shoes if the hub ever does leak (and every truck seems to get at least one hub leaking, eventually). So I'm just interested in your reasoning why you would consider this lube over "more conventional" gear lubes.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Lewis
Great Britain

Post by Lewis »

Jimm391730 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:48 am My question is: why would you want to use this lube? Pinz hubs are not hypoid, are not "water cooled", and are generally not expected to have much water ingress. I'm not saying it wouldn't be acceptable, but this seems like a much distant application compared to the plethora of gearbox oils that are expected to get warm (to hot) and still lube well. Then there is the unknown as to how this marine lube would affect or damage the brake shoes if the hub ever does leak (and every truck seems to get at least one hub leaking, eventually). So I'm just interested in your reasoning why you would consider this lube over "more conventional" gear lubes.
My only real reason is that i have 2 gallons of it sat on my shelf and trying desperately to clear some space, so i wanted to check before it went in the "to go" box, have to admit i never thought of the damaging the brake shoes issue, thanks!
1982 710K ex-Bosnian Radio car
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Ah, two gallons just sitting around certainly makes a compelling reason to ask! As I've said before, the hubs are quite overbuilt so almost any decent lube will be sufficient- meaning that it probably won't HURT, but may not be optimal. Personally, I'd just invest the $$$ for the right stuff. YMMV.
Jim M.
712W and 710M